How much money FROM TRADING do you need to make you happy?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Unquestionably, Feb 6, 2011.

How much moola do you need to make FROM TRADINg to make you happy?

1. <$40K/yr

16 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. $40K-$60K/yr

11 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. $60K-$100K/yr

16 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. $100K-$200K/yr

74 vote(s)
    63.2%
  1. How much money is needed to lead a comfortable life?

#31     Feb 7, 2011
  2. Doesn't your wife know the answer?

#32     Feb 7, 2011
  3. cornix

cornix

Yes, of course. I absolutely agree with the Pareto principle you pointed out.

And by "consistency" mean ability to come out profitable in the long run, after a series of many trades, in a way that your profits can't be attributed to luck, but rather to the true edge you have.

#33     Feb 7, 2011
  4. cornix

cornix

Just personally for me, being a scalper "consistency" has quite specific time horizon. Down week is already bad week in my view. :)

But from the other side I fully understand that accumulating a single position, which would make millions is hardly possible due to liquidity reasons, nuances of the technique etc.

#34     Feb 7, 2011
  5. Observation.. odds of "accumlating $Millions as a "scalper" are slim

The BIG $MONEY is in doing well with large, swing positions.

BTW... Achieving financial success with a "scalping style".. is EXTREMELY REMOTE, DIFFICULT, AND HIGHLY UNLIKELY..

#35     Feb 7, 2011
  6. cornix

cornix

Yes. Agree again.

It's hardly possible to scalp Euro (which I mostly day trade) with any significant size, it starts to slip and some other restrictions appear.

So scalping can be good income source, but big $ is in big, longer term moves.

#36     Feb 7, 2011
  7. cornix

cornix

Also related to the whole thread: all depends on the measure of "success".

I would never recommend a newbie to start trading career with scalping. Long term (best of all, based on macro economic cycles) trading/investment is way safer and odds of becoming profitable are higher.

From the other side, scalping is possible, I know for sure, cause do it myself for years and every day communicate with other people who do it too.

But it's not going to make you rich and neither is the easiest way to make trading profits.

Though, if one can scalp well, relatively consistent income (almost every month being profitable) is achievable.

#37     Feb 7, 2011
  8. Yeah, and "IF a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass when he jumped"

What are the odds of being a successful scalper? Which is the better avenue to pursue?

#38     Feb 7, 2011
  9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

I prefer to make 200K with 1 losing week per year than 400 with 4 losing months but that's just me. consistency gives you the illusion that it will never ends and you don't really have to question your trading ( that's tiring emotionally )...LOL

#39     Feb 7, 2011
  10. How much does your wife say for you?

#40     Feb 7, 2011