How much money and time have you spent so far in trading? 2016 edition

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Bob Brown, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Bob Brown

Bob Brown

G'day folks, how are you all?

Im making a small statistic for myself and would be glad if you could help me out!

This question is for everyone: If you are not yet successful, how much time and money have you spent so far? (books, courses, etc.)

If you are already profitable, how long did it take and how much did it cost? (including blown acocunts and everything)

Ive found some similar topics but they are all old. With this new one you can see how are ya standing among others right now!

Me myself it cost me around 10K and took about 7 years before figuring it all out.

Thank you for sharing!

~Bob

2. java

java

All my money, all my time.

3. Bob111

Bob111

---Me myself it cost me around 10K and took about 7 years before figuring it all out.---

what do you mean by that?

can you say that you will be able to make money (enough to live on) in any market all the time?
    keep in mind that you haven't seen bear market in a very very long time. i still remember the phrase from one russian guy which translates into something like this-everyone think he is a genius during the bull market. i've seen those folks at the top of year 2000 :)

d08 likes this.
  4. eganon69

eganon69

Cost me around $50k. Making it all back and then some now. Started after the market crash in 2007/2008 and was not profitable for about 4-4 1/2 years. First 2 1/2 - 3 years were losing and then the rest was break even. Been profitable ever since and beating the market steadily. Each year getting better and better.

As a swing trader I have come to realize I can trade less and less and make more by waiting for those juiciest of setups and not take every marginal setup that comes.

Good luck to you.

Bedros Ohanian, alfa8 and JackRab like this.
  5. i've been reading comments from people that blindly invest in index funds, don't believe in timing, they just buy anywhere and expect a 7% return longer term because it's been the average in the last couple dozen years

i can't fathom this ignorance

6. ironchef

ironchef

Not a bad way to go if you can sit on it for 30 years.

7. big mac

big mac

1000's of hours...watching the little candles form...

now, that i've arrived...i don't even give a sht:banghead::D

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  8. java

java

It's not ignorance, it just takes a lot of money. You'll get there. Just keep trading and buy a little SPY each month.

9. java

java

After 30 years of that they can't even remember what it was for.

Got something in the mail from Vanguard today.

Well it better not be a bill!

Wait this can't be right. Remember we took that money and bought that 500 fund? 1985

You mean right before we lost it all in 1987. I've been throwing their mail away ever since. What do they want now?

This can't be right, how much was it we put in?

10. I basically have a Master's degree in trading -- that's how much time I have spent before becoming really profitable and worthwhile :confused:o_O

For different people time can vary greatly, but that's how long it took me to see the light. I'm somewhat of a slow, immature learner. -- trading is not so much about technical learning, as it is more about becoming wise about life and the world and oneself.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    #10     Dec 1, 2016
    Ryan81, alfa8, Gringo and 4 others like this.