How much is this move?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by thyrus, Oct 21, 2020.

1. thyrus

thyrus

I have only used options to trade SPY and SPX so far. Of course with those, you have time decay, so if you dont time it right you're in trouble even if the move is made the next day or even 3 hours later (easy to get shaken out).

So Im wondering if I sign up with a broker that specializes in Futures, like ES-F, how much money do I make from these moves NOT using options, just buying... as normal?

ES-F - 3433 to 3447 on the longside
    NQF - 11628 to 11660

I realize this is stupid and incredibly basic , but oh well!

2. BKR88

BKR88

ES = $50 per point
    3433 to 3447 = 14 points x $50 = $700

NQ = $20 per point

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    thyrus likes this.
  3. thyrus

thyrus

Cost of buying ES-F at 3443?

Can you only trade options in SPX?

4. BKR88

BKR88

Every broker is different with regards to margin required to purchase. Check their website.
    There are options for ES also.

jys78 likes this.
  5. thyrus

thyrus

OK, I suppose that's why there are E-Mini's . 3433 can be had for 34.33 per contract?

6. BKR88

BKR88

ES is shown in points, not dollars so 3433 is just points.
    To daytrade ES some brokers require just $500 per contract.
    You can also trade the micro-ES (MES) which is 1/10 the size of ES so each point is $5. These can be daytraded for $50 per contract as some brokers.

thyrus likes this.
  7. jys78

jys78

I hate to seem negative, but IMO anyone asking these sort of questions has no business trading futures, at least not in the near future (see what I did there?). Take some time to learn the basics. And I mean fundamentals, primary sources, not internet forums.

rb7 and CALLumbus like this.
  8. thyrus

thyrus

We've heard it all before jys. But trading is trading, and with the right risk management, Ive been successful with shares, options and shorting small caps. Not to the tune of millions but enough where Ive established consistency. So Ill be sure not to go "all in" with every trade I make on futures but ease into it.

Already been trading SPX options based on futures based on TPO, volume profile and a few macro catalysts given the climate we're in. Not an exact science, but atleast finding levels that work.

9. easymon1

easymon1

What time frame are we talkin here?
    Post a chart of what you are looking at.

10. thyrus

thyrus

Intraday, Normally 30 min to 2 hour intervals.

#10     Oct 22, 2020