How much is that degree really worth?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Jun 30, 2010.

1. itsame

itsame

This a very real problem with people that are over qualified. No one want to hire someone that will leave within 6 months. They (yahoo, msn, etc...) say that you should leave off advanced degrees if it doesn't pertain to your job

The last sentence in the quote can be confusing and taken the wrong way. A degree can only hurt you if you are extremely over qualified.

A couple examples.

http://www.jobget.net/article-archive/116-over-qualified

http://ezinearticles.com/?Top-Reasons-Resumes-Are-Rejected---Youre-Overqualified&id=4519338

#11     Jun 30, 2010
  2. Eddiefl

Eddiefl

Well if it gets you in GS or you head out to Silicon Valley with a good one it could be worth hundreds of millions.

OR you can open a yogurt stand and make shit.

its more of what you do with it than what it is worth.

That being said, it is much more easy and realistic to become succesfull with a college degree than without. HOw many CEO went to college, prob almost all of them. Yes, Bill Gates didnt finish, but for every Gates there are 10k guys who didnt do shit,

EF

#12     Jun 30, 2010
  3. It's just one mans experience, I know, but the highly successful self-employed people I know never went to college.

#13     Jun 30, 2010
  4. for lame jobs like waiting on tables and cashier, you definitely do not want an over-qualified employee with a desirable degree. people like that will have options when the economy gets better and are likely to get bored. all you want is someone who's reliable and follows orders. that would be a high-school grad or perhaps someone with a useless degree in music or african-american studies.

when i worked for a tech company, i was part of a group who did interviewing. one thing we looked for was whether the interviewee was overqualified. people like that get bored, unhappy, and leave -- after you've spent $$$ training them. then you have to interview and hire someone new, all over again.

#14     Jul 1, 2010
  5. that website did not list certain schools (perhaps because they couldn't get enough responses?). UC san francisco is not on there but would likely be in the top 10. it is an elite public graduate school that produces mainly just doctors, dentists, pharmacists and nurses. because of the (relatively) low in-state tuition and high earnings potential, its ROI should be astronomical

#15     Jul 1, 2010
  6. Just plain dumb comment some business you don't want the brightest or best. My dad owns 12 dunkin donuts in the chicago area and over the years running some of them I can tell you dumber is better, turnover is already bad enough I don't want someone leaving when they get a better deal. (you don't need the best to run cashier, just not steal!)

Just plain sad, my dad came here from india 10 years ago and accomplish more then most americans in their lifetime.

And yes I got a masters in CS from depaul.

#16     Jul 1, 2010
  7. A harvard degree is everything, anything else is fluff.

#17     Jul 1, 2010
  8. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Same here. The 3 most inspirational business owner I know( 1 is really big) never finished college and started their venture while attending or even before, their business was usually the catalyst for them dropping out... Nothing beats passion.

#18     Jul 1, 2010
  9. Retief

Retief

The Hutterites get by on only a high school education. The Amish get by on only an 8th grade education, raise huge families, and will not accept social security.

#19     Jul 1, 2010
  10. Yes, and the Amish also do not drive, avoid electricity, have serious problems when they need real medical intervention for their family members, and a lot of other things. They would obviously not be involved in this conversation, as they are not on the web.

They have a very limited vision, and yes they are among the nicest people and are the salt of the Earth.

If everyone stopped at 8th grade, you could pretty much kiss scientists, mathematicians, engineers, doctors, and a huge number of other occupations, as they will not come from the Amish.

If you want to advocate for being uneducated and "getting by", however, feel free to join them

#20     Jul 1, 2010