How much is "good"?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by skippy, Oct 17, 2006.

1. skippy

skippy

What an idiotic question. I feel like an idiot asking it. But, surely, I'm not the only one who hasn't an idea what the answer might be -- other than one grounded in nothing but his own ungrounded speculation.

I've been trading the ES full time now for all of -- oh, gee, must be going on four weeks now. How many points, realistically, on average, would a competent retail professional expect to nail, per day or per week, on the ES. Again, I'm talking about a retail trader, working off his/hger TS or IB account, or what-have-you.

Thanks.

2. tortoise

tortoise

anything better than blowing up your account is good

3. djxput

djxput

ya I'm not sure about the ES ... I know this subject has come up about the YM and it was decided that 20 points a day on average was good there ...

4. yz125

yz125

if you can average 1pt net a day you will be well on your way to a millionaire 1pt x 100 contracts is $5000 you will be able to trade this %99.9 of the time with no slipage

5. i trade the YM, so divide by 10 for the ES.

i like 40 pts a day. that would be 4 pts ES

the thing is that how many points is kinda hard to decipher in that i scale out of winning trades, so on one trade i might get

+5 pts, +8, +14 points.

for each contract.

so, would that count as 9 points for that trade?

(27/3)

6. 1 point a day/1 contract is $50 * 20 trading days a month is $1,000 a month.

If you can make 1 point with 2 contracts then it is $2,000 a month.

Just adjust based on your account size. Sure it would be nice to make 3 or 6 points a day but if you can AVERAGE ( you will have losing days) just 1 point a day you are just fine. Just increase contract amounts for more money :)

Forget about these 6 point targets since some days will have 20 point swings and others will have 4 point swings...