How much is an ATS worth?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by kut2k2, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dom993

dom993

... and yearly results

#51     Feb 13, 2013
  2. kut2k2

kut2k2

Serious effort here. So what would your ATS pricing factor look like?

#52     Feb 14, 2013
  3. Interesting read,btw.Any additional reads/research on wide tails fenomena you could suggest?

#53     Feb 14, 2013
  4. dom993

dom993

The generic formula would be:

ATSvalue = (ExpectedLifetimeP&LPeak - SystemStop - ATSprice)*DiscountFactor

- ExpectedLifetimeP&LPeak: calculated at minimum position size. This is basically the 1-year average P&L * anticipated number of years before system failure.

- SystemStop: 5 std-dev. from mean max.DD, calculated for 1-year worth of trades. For most system that I have developed, a fast approximation of that is twice the historical max.DD

Note that (ExpectedLifetimeP&LPeak - SystemStop - ATSprice) is the expected net result from purchasing then trading the system until its failure (defined by reaching a DD equal to SystemStop).

- DiscountFactor: this DiscountFactor could be a set value (independent of the ATS), to account for the general fact that the future is unknown, and on average only X% of all systems live through their promises. Lower boundary is obviously 0, upper boundary probably 50%, and a realistic value could be 20%.

Assuming the ATS is sold for a price equal to its value, the above formula simplifies into:

ATSvalue * (1 + DiscountFactor) = (ExpectedLifetimeP&LPeak - SystemStop) * DiscountFactor

hence:

ATSvalue = (ExpectedLifetimeP&LPeak - SystemStop) * DiscountFactor / (1+DiscountFactor)

This leaves as main variable the anticipated number of years before system failure. Two key elements that could play a role here are the # of trades in the backtest, and the time period covered by the backtest.

#54     Feb 14, 2013
  5. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

Congrats. Your valuation formula depends on 3 variables that are basically impossible to forecast. (The ability to above any of the 3 is in itself a major source of alpha).

#55     Feb 14, 2013
  6. dom993

dom993

For one thing, I disclosed how I do compute the SystemStop for any system - using both a detailed & precise formula, and a fast approximation of it.

If you took the time to read, you would also have noticed I suggested a fixed value for the DiscountFactor, which is system independent.

Try to make one useful contribution in this thread - it's Valentine day, we all need some love, and you'll be glad that you did.

#56     Feb 14, 2013
  7. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

All the pseudo formulas in the world doesn't help you estimate things that are mostly unforecastable. You are just putting a false sense of precision where there is none.

#57     Feb 14, 2013
  8. kut2k2

kut2k2

Wow, I wasn't expecting a full price formula, maybe just some factors based on the attributes you discussed.

Congrats! :cool:

#58     Feb 14, 2013
  9. kut2k2

kut2k2

#59     Feb 14, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.