How much futures leverage was used by the Turtle Traders to turn $5,000 into $100 million?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by nwoptions, May 19, 2024.

1. Hi all, I recently read The Way of the Turtle by Curtis Faith. I read in an interview that Richard Dennis turned $5000 into $100 million.

How much leverage do you think they used? 20:1? 4:1? Did they use options?

Thanks

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. mervyn

mervyn

whatever the option leverage in default, don’t think the group wanted to blow up the account.

murray t turtle and nwoptions like this.
  3. The turtle students traded with 1M+ accounts

Back in the early seventies the legend is that Richard Denis turned $200 into $200 million.

However he started out as a floor trader. Not known how much he made from regular floor trading by capturing the bid/ask spread, before he turned into an off the floor trend following trader.

As for leverage to do overnight trend following that is normally just exchange overnight margin, typically something like 20:1 for futures. Although i'm not sure if exchange members were allowed extra leverage back then or not.

murray t turtle and nwoptions like this.
  4. I think he blew up 3 funds after that. When locked limit was more of a thing than today, riding the locked limits was quite profitable I believe.

nwoptions likes this.
  5. comagnum

comagnum

The Turtle's traded futures in units of 1% of capital which was volatility adjusted to the symbol. For a single market their max size was 4 units, starting with 1U than adding onto winners at 1/2 ATR increments up to 4U.

Their were two exit systems used: risking 0.50% of capital per trade which some did better with this, the others risking a max 2%. This is in the book p245-274

Last edited: May 19, 2024
  6. %%
    I thought it was $500 into $300 million, but you May be right.
    But using Jack Schwager as a source ;
    he did bid\ ask + trend following trades.
    And used old WSJ paper piles for furniture :D:D

7. BONEDREN

BONEDREN

Can the turtle method work today and what are the chances of success?

8. ph1l

ph1l

9. Overnight

Overnight

10. ph1l

ph1l

Most of the original turtles were funded with $1 million dollar accounts, so I'd guess that was the website's gold futures backtest simulated.

I think the main point of the article is to sell viewers an improved version and/or other trading systems.

#10     May 26, 2024