How much does a profitable method or strategy costs?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by PsychoTrader, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Thank you. I think it works. But $10 for a "profitable trading system" seems to be a little bit impudent specially in first bid.

#11     Oct 31, 2007
  2. on the money

on the money Guest

Just invest your money with him and let him take a management fee. You get big profits, he gets paid for doing something that he is already doing, everyone wins.
    If you insist on buying the system perhaps it's because you want to sell it to someone else. and if that's the case, figure out how much the third party is willing to pay and then make the system seller an offer based on how much profit you want.

#12     Oct 31, 2007
  3. I insisit on buying the system just because I want to trade for a living and I don't want allways look for someone to manage my account.

Anyway

How much does a profitable method or strategy cost? 3000USD?
    5000? 10,000?

#13     Oct 31, 2007
  4. Rocko1

Rocko1

You could invest in a book on negotiation then perhaps you'd understand how bartering works.

#14     Oct 31, 2007
  5. Not quite. There is always an optimal limit for a given strategy, given among others, the scalability factor and the risk profile. If this was not so, then every multibillion dollar fund would only need 1 working strategy and the funds would soon become multi-thrillion or multi-zillion ... basically the sky would be the limit!

Note that this lot size is to do with the strategy itself , not with the abilities of the wishful trader/buyer.

Consider for an example of an affordable real life strategy:

Expected profit:
    12% pa

Sharpe ratio:

Max Drawdown:
    20%

Style:
    High frequency trading. Upto 30 signals per day. All trades closed by end of day

Optimal capital allocation given among others high slippage on exit:
    1MM per day

Thus given this oversimplified description I would value this in this way.

Excess return over the risk free rate:
    6%

Expected strategy value over 5 years:

Present value:

Deal?

#15     Oct 31, 2007
  6. IluvVol

IluvVol

So, why would he then sell his system to you if it was so great? Because his middle name is Humanity? I just dont follow the logic at all. If you find a great system why would you share it with others, knowing that once others trade it as well that it will over time lose its efficiency? What am I missing.......?

#16     Oct 31, 2007
  7. IluvVol

IluvVol

Sorry to be an asshole but I think you want to buy the system because you are too lazy to do your own homework. Guess what happens to people in the market who dont do their own homework. They get eaten alive by those who do, sooner or later.

#17     Oct 31, 2007
  8. on the money

on the money Guest

Are you stoned?!
    If this guy is as successful as you say, he is probably making that much in a day or week.
    Noone would sell a really good system for 10,000 or even 100,000.

#18     Oct 31, 2007
  9. IluvVol

IluvVol

Hey, its ok. Some really think they dont need to put in ANY of their own work, put couple bucks on the table and instantly make money. You wont ever change this kind of perception. And you also wont change the fact that 95%-98% of "traders" lose money. Let's guess what makes the 2% or so of winners in this game take away from the rest. Coincidence? Luck?

What makes the game so beautiful is that 90% of the losing traders think they are part of the winners.

#19     Oct 31, 2007
  10. Thanks for all advices.
    I bought it for 10,000 USD. It is a wonderful system.

#20     Oct 31, 2007