How much $$$ did you lose before you began making $$$ trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by increasenow, Jun 20, 2008.

#11     Jun 22, 2008
  2. wow .great replie..what were your trading problems early on...my were:
    not focusing on one contract..over trading..trading without a strategy..and revenge trading as they say..meaning..take loss and try to get back RIGHT NOW!..thanks again

#12     Jun 22, 2008
  3. All of the above for me. I was trading NQ, ES and YM futures, stocks and stock options.

The #1 biggest culprit for me was over trading - feeling the absolute need to always be in a position - huge killer for just about everyone imo.

The other thing about trading for a living that was my eventual killer, was I could never let profits build in my acount.

At the end of the week or day - or whatever, I would wire any profits into my checking account for bills.....eventually, the wire transfers out of my account won, and poof!, no more account.

Steve

#13     Jun 22, 2008
  4. TIMMY57

TIMMY57

wow registered in sept of 07 as this is your first post

#14     Jun 22, 2008
  5. bespoke

bespoke

The most I was down was 3000 net, 1000 gross. 1000 of that was due to a system error so you could say 0 gross.

When you're first learning, you need the lowest commissions possible. I stayed a 100 share piker until I found any consistency.

#15     Jun 22, 2008
  6. thanks steve for the honest answer...are you back trading again?futures only?ym,es etc?

#16     Jun 22, 2008
  7. epetrov

epetrov

Increasenow,
    interesting discutions you make!
    How much you will lose depends only on you.
    I think more greedy you are more losses you make. lol
    Trade just the bare minimun till you "get it".
    This way your losses will not exceed a couple of hundred dollars. Why to pay more to learn trading?
    Once you a confortable with your approach increase slowly the trading account.
    This is it.
    Good luck.
    Persist and you will succeed.
    :)

#17     Jun 22, 2008
  8. blew $6000 before realizing that I should start trading the YM Futures instead of the ER2 LOL.....young and and stupid....I'm having more success with the YM now . Haven't touch any other instrument since:)

#18     Jun 22, 2008
  9. I still have a small equity acct for long term trades but when I do trade, I trade just the ES.

I have a great job now so I have a lot less time and zero pressure to trade.

When I do trade, I only trade the highest probability set ups.

And I agree with epetrov! Start small, very small. Stay that way till you THINK you know what the H you are doing - then stay small a while longer lol.

Steve

#19     Jun 22, 2008
  10. I started actively managing my money in january 2000 and in 3 months buying mostly tech stocks turned $55k into $90k. I thought I was a stock market genius... even though a monkey could have picked 10 random nasdaq stocks in that period and had the exact same results.

Then from 2000-2002 I turned that $90k into $20k by continuing to hold my march 2000 portfolio, thinking that I now owned incredible values that would bounce at any minute. (I still can't believe I allowed one $25k position drop to $3k and another $25k position go literally to $0)

Then I got really discouraged until 2006 when I started researching breakout/swing trades. In january 07, I put my research to the test and lost $5k or about 10% of my account in the first 3 months. (I think my max drawdown was about 20% during that late february china selloff.)

At that point I refined my buy rules and focused more on my emotions and trade management. Since then I am up about 15% in a pretty poor market environment. I still have a long way to go- especially with developing trade exit rules- but I'm cautiously optimistic that the "tuition" period is mostly behind me.

#20     Jun 22, 2008