How much did SAC lose on Volkswagen?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by mingsphinx, Oct 30, 2008.

1. how are shorts to blame for this management decision:
    VeraSun, facing a liquidity crisis last month, retained Morgan Stanley to help it evaluate "strategic alternatives" that could involve anything from a buyout to a partial sale of assets. The company found itself short of cash after it locked in corn at higher-than-market prices. VeraSun converts corn into fuel.

#31     Oct 30, 2008
  2. Look at Sheldon Adelson. 30 billion to 1 billion in 12 months.

That's riiiich, biiitch!!!

#32     Oct 30, 2008
  3. lindq

lindq

What market manipulation? Porsche made a brilliant move, at an opportune time. The fact that their announcement had shorts trampling each other is hardly a fault of Porshe.

If the shorts were over leveraged or made a big bet, well, that's the biz.

For individuals and companies who have cash to put to work, you can expect a lot more of these scenarios to unfold in the near future.

More power to them.

I don't think it takes a Stevie Cohen to realize that at these market levels, holding serious shorts looking for more downside is a high risk bet.

#33     Oct 30, 2008
  4. Where does the money go?

#34     Oct 30, 2008
  5. its insider trading. They CAUSED the short squeeze by their announcment to own more options than previously said and NOW they profit from this by buying back a 5% stake with a HUGE profit. If they would have just collected the stocks and kept them it would have been OK.
    It fullfills every aspect of market manipulation and insider trading and Bafin is investigating already. Porsche will be screwed. I think this was the first big mistake from Wiedeking with fatal consequences for Porsche. It will take a few weeks until people will take notice of the enormous consequences but finally Porsche will pay.

#35     Oct 30, 2008
  6. jem

jem

We are talking about German law.

We are talking about 10 b 5 type disclosures in the U.S. -- perhaps germany has no such law.

The first thing a big shorter does is check the available float and institutional holdings. (Guys in my old office had once worked on desks for big shorters - this is not rocket science - they are all scared of short squeezes.)

The next thing they should do is figure out if there is some way they could get screwed by bad info or assumptions.

That question should lead to wondering what the disclosure law in germany requires.

#36     Oct 30, 2008

7. nothing will happen to Porsche.

If you were naked short, you deserve to be screwed royally. And then put in jail.

#37     Oct 30, 2008
  8. I'd put my money on nothing happening to Porsche...

#38     Oct 30, 2008
  9. Well said! Indeed a brilliant move by Porsche.

#39     Oct 30, 2008
  10. Are we supposed to feel sorry for a termite like Steve Cohen or David Einhorn? Are you serious?

I feel sorry for the people they robbed.

#40     Oct 30, 2008