How much did SAC lose on Volkswagen?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by mingsphinx, Oct 30, 2008.

1. This phenomenon is called "crab mentality" which is best described by the phrase...."if i can't have it, neither can you".

It's a metaphor referring to a pot of crabs in which one of them tries to escape and instead is pulled down by the rest of them.

"We all like to see our friends get ahead...but not too far ahead.” -- famous crab mentalist

#11     Oct 30, 2008
  2. Those Germans have a word for everything - it is called schadenfreude

#12     Oct 30, 2008
  3. I'm sure some of it is "crab mentality", but I think a lot of the animosity toward these hedge guys like SAC and (former) hedgie Crammer, comes from the idea that we respect successful traders. And it seems like more and more we find out that these guys made most of their bux from paying for order flow info, and dirty tricks. Floating rumors and bullying companies down with naked shorts, etc.

Yeah, guys like SAC have to find a way to run billions and we trade just a tiny tiny fraction of that size. But at least we trade. We can't trick our way through the markets.

#13     Oct 30, 2008
  4. This is not a guess.

They're exposure to one "symbol" is not large, plus they're very (x100) well diversified, and very good at it.

VW squeeze "single-handedly" is not going to impact them as much as people think. The bigger impact is the general market condition itself.

*I don't trade for/with SAC but well informed with their trading style

#14     Oct 30, 2008
  5. Porsche should start a hedge fund. That was a great play.

#16     Oct 30, 2008
  6. Nice link. This would make a cool movie! What's a good title? "The Big Squeeze?" or "Kraut's Revenge"?

#17     Oct 30, 2008
  7. #18     Oct 30, 2008
  8. Rob a guy on the street and the state incarcerates you. Steal from thousands on the market and you are called smart money.

#19     Oct 30, 2008
  9. Did Lehman not try to raise money too? :D :D :D

#20     Oct 30, 2008