How much data is one day's worth of ticks?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by illiquid, May 26, 2011.

1. How much data does one download over the course of a single session (say 3 or 4 mm boxes w/ time&sales)? I am looking at 2 different wifi hotspot services, one is faster but is capped at 5 GB a month, the other is probably half the speed but unlimited.

This is just for use with my laptop when I'm not in the office, I will probably only use it for an hour or so a day at the most. Will 5 GB/month cover it?

2. Depends how many securities you want TAQ data for. Forex is huge while stock and option data not that much.

3. Depends a lot on your provider.

My current CME data files from Nanex (that is all 5 CME Group exchanges, including Clearport, complete feeds - not "symbol" but everything, all options, all spreads, all bids, asks) is about 2gb per day.

4. pp7

pp7

500 stocks on iqfeed with level 2 gives me 17GB per day but that's because everything is in expanded to CSV format. My estimate is 700MB per day before decompression. Easily doable on most internet connections nowadays.

5. That would be bad compression. Note that my feed has about 200.000 symbols (no joke - there are TONS of symbols in the option chains).

6. pp7

pp7

How much does your feed cost?

7. I pay 500 USD per month plus exchange fees. It also collects full historical data"tape" files- very interesting concept ;) Just corossing 6 months archive end of the month.

8. pp7

pp7

does that include level 2 tick data?

9. Yes, on ALL instruments trading in the CME group ;) All exchanges. Complete feeds. INCLUDING (another special) cancels and corrections IN THE TAPE (i.e. as they are published). Tons of trades get cancelled? you see it.

10. pp7

pp7

what company provides this?

#10     May 27, 2011