How much capital is good to start full time trading

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by kming, Oct 30, 2005.

1. patoo

patoo

after you have lost every last dime, you can start borrowing...get the picture?

#31     Nov 23, 2005
  2. Urkel

Urkel

$10.000.000.97. min. REQUIRED

#32     Nov 23, 2005
  3. jsmith

jsmith

Haahaa. You are still far from being a profitable trader if you really believe that.

If you started with 1 million, you would've lost 1 million. You wouldn't have traded the same size as if you had 50k if you had 1 million.

No amount of money you start with will save you from poor discipline and random trading.

Good Luck!

#33     Nov 23, 2005
  4. drasfs

drasfs

I started out trading stocks, and got about 8% every week using maximum margin for 4 months from the very first day, with no preveious literacy or real life experience.

I liquidated my positions just recently though as forex offer better leverages and therefore better oppurtunities to make bigger returns.

Im very catious though, because it is a totally different game, and much more complex than the stock market.

I started out with a demo account, and I blew away 30% of my account value in 5 hours :p

Im happy I didnt start out real, as I first intended to do, because of my pumped up confidence from the stock market. I did however get profitable as soon I changed my leverage from 400 to 100.

And I can further inform you that I traded with 400 to 1 leverage with gbp/jpy >P. I blame it all on the vt trader platform who doesnt let you lower your leverage if using a practice account.

#34     Nov 24, 2005
  5. Too bad this site doesn't have moderators who would delete dumb/false statements like this.

#35     Nov 24, 2005
  6. drasfs

drasfs

I did however compound it.

#36     Nov 24, 2005
  7. Really, so in 16 weeks (4 months) you would with compounding have returned 342.6%. :D
    And you did this consistently, week after week?

Lets not even get to what the compounded returns are in a year.

2 scenarios:
    1). Fooled by randomness. Unlikely, but there is a possibility.
    or
    2). Bullshit.

#37     Nov 24, 2005
  8. drasfs

drasfs

After 4 months I got 128% compounded, which then becomes about 8% every week.

The distribution is however a bit skewed.

And the average increase each day was 0.0034 excluding leverage and compounding.

0.68% a day is a piece of cake, if you know how to trade the forex. Just start a thread somewhere and you will get a lot of people telling you that they make about 400pips a month.

#38     Nov 24, 2005
  9. jsmith

jsmith

I don't think you know what compounding means. See attached Excel.

Good Luck!

#39     Nov 24, 2005
  10. drasfs

drasfs

0.0034% on average daily

With 2:1 levarge= 0.068

After one month= 0.204

after 4 months= 0.816

81.6% uncompounded after 4 months.

Compounding at a couple of intervals=128%

Weekly average after compounding 128/16=8

Real weekly average with 2:1 leverage=4.76% and 2.38% without leverage.

#40     Nov 24, 2005