How much capital is good to start full time trading

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by kming, Oct 30, 2005.

1. kming

kming

Want to have your opinion on how much is a good starting size to begin full time as a private trader... 50k, 100k, 200k, 500k or 1mm?

2. I started up with 50K and I lost it all, I wish I could've started with 1 million so that I could still have 950K left.

So, the best thing to do is... start with as much as you can.

3. Well, if you need to ask this question, your knowledge is very little. If you have very little know-how, guess what? Best to see how far $5K-10K will take you. Probably 3-6 months which is l think the average.

4. FT79

FT79

Start part-time, when your profitable you'll find out how much money you need to be a full-time trader.

Good luck
    FT79

5. Start off small maybe 5-10K until you are consistly profitable.

6. ozzy

ozzy

As little as possible. Work your way up from there.

7. If you don't have the answer yourself it proves that you didn't do your job well.
    If you want to become a fulltime trader you must have tested your system extensively. This means that your stats on the testing should have to give you all the answers you need.
    How many winning trades, how many losing trades, maximum drawdown, average profit per trade, average loss per trade....

If you ask Schumacher how fast you can drive a car, the answer will be: it depends on your abilities.
    Never ask anyone else how to trade. It's like letting someone else race with your car. But if he crashes your car the bill will be for you.

8. It all depends. What are your monthly living costs? If they are 5,000 a month, you need to make at least 10,000 a month because you have to pay taxes and you have to grow the account.

How much can you consistently earn each month? 1%, 5%, 10% ???

If its 1%, you need at least a mil to cover your expenses. 5% means at least 200k. If you can do 10% a month you only need 100k. Although if you can do 10% a month, you will be rich beyond your wildest dreams in no time.

9. Well i think $10000 to $15000 capital and then u get 10.1 margin
    And then if u trade patiencly and try to make $250 to $500 a day i think it is very decent :)

10. Cheese

Cheese

One millimeter?
    :)

#10     Oct 30, 2005