How much capital do you typically need as a trader to live on your own?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Lethn, Apr 25, 2010.

1. TRS

TRS

How much did I need= knowledge.
    Now give me me minimum margin + couple scratches

#21     Apr 26, 2010
  2. benwm

benwm

I started with £15k in my trading account and 6 months living expenses set aside. It was tough when my account dropped to £10k after 3months, but I was able to scrape through somehow.

When it really matters you learn how to manage risk under pressure...or not...

I figured that if I started with £100k+ I would have more to lose...what if I dropped £50k, would I lose my nerve?

But more than that, I just hated my job and couldn't wait till I reached £100k savings

However, in many ways starting with smaller capital and reaching £100k is better than starting with £100k because you also have some proof that what you are doing is working once you have reached £100k...psychologically you are better shape, knowing that you can always make money from a low starting point.

If you had £100k but no experience probably better to trade for a couple of months with only a fraction of that.

#22     Apr 26, 2010
  3. yeah if you lived with your parents...

#23     Apr 26, 2010
  4. epetrov

epetrov

Market changes hour after hour for daytraders, and they have to adjust all the plays. To pass 3 years in order market to change and to lose an edge....thats too funny.
    :D :D :D

#24     Apr 26, 2010
  5. cokezero

cokezero

It's a good ball park figure.

#25     Apr 26, 2010
  6. I shared a flat with 2 people actually.

#26     Apr 26, 2010
  7. No, just a bit of simple economizing. And I had a commute back then, nowadays you can work from home. Just do basics like:

1. Spend zero on booze, cigarettes, restaurants, snacks/sweets/candy etc.
    2. Get very cheap accommodation - house-sitters (people employed to keep rich people's empty houses from squatting/burglary/vandalism) can live somewhere for free or even get paid a bit for it. House-sharing in acceptable areas (working class non-ghetto) is cheap.
    3. Don't own a car.
    4. Eat cheap but not unhealthy food e.g. fruit, bread, cereals, milk, canned food, pasta, vegetables etc.

Your only necessities are a computer, internet, food, water, electricity, heating, accommodation. Costs today for that:

Computer: 100-200 second hand
    Internet: 10 per month
    Food: 40 per week
    Water: 40 per month
    Electricity: 40 per month
    Heating: 40 per month
    Accommodation: 50 per week (can easily be lower with some creativity)

Total cost = around 6-6.5k. There is room for a few savings there as well.

Remember, this is fixed costs. Not discretionary spending. IF you are making ok profits, then sure you can spend some of it. But it's best to have low overhead so you don't have to make a huge % return just to meet your nut.

#27     Apr 26, 2010
  8. when was it? what country? costs may be different now

#28     Apr 26, 2010
  9. PatternRec

PatternRec Guest

Though what he intends to trade makes a big difference in the amount needed.

#29     Apr 26, 2010

10. kudos on that handle

how do I pronounce it?

#30     Apr 26, 2010