How much can you bench?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ticktaker, Feb 4, 2010.

1. I can do 215 lbs 5-8 times. I am 41 years old and 170-175 Lbs weight., But I work mostly with my own weight + additional weights on my belt.
    I do another stuff like pull ups with 45 lbs on the belt. I can do 5 sets X 8 times each. Plus, I do push ups while hanging on those 2 sticks with 125 lbs on my belt 30 reps first set, 15 reps second. then reduce weight to 45 lbs make it 50 and then free weight another 60-80.
    it is when I am not lifting weights. after lifting weight I do push ups with additional 70-80 lbs 50 times, then another 25-30 times and then 60 times free weight.

#21     Feb 6, 2010
  2. Rennick doing bench press:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIP0iqySMLo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OIP0iqySMLo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#22     Feb 6, 2010
  3. nitro

nitro

I am 5' 8". When I was at the peak of my physical strength, I wrestled 142 lbs in high school. I never lifted weights because I was naturally strong. On a challenge, I was able to press 240 lbs machine, once. I could do 180 lbs a few reps (three maybe ?), but I found that stamina did not come naturally. Strength does, but not stamina. Free weights are much harder for me because my left arm is much weaker than my right, hence I would probably be able to do at most 200lbs dead weight at my peak. If I strengthned my left arm, I could probably be close to the machine limit.

Today I would be lucky to press 150 lbs, and I weigh considerably more than my natural top shape weight of 142 lbs.

#23     Feb 6, 2010
  4. My youngest boy is about 165 and Benches his body weight is all but can hit like a 220# strong man. I don't know how he does it, it's scary watching him hit.
    In my prime I benched for max 300# and dipped with about 85# around my waist. Now that I'm past 50 I'm starting that p90x program. I want to be lean and fit not concerned about maximum lifts any more, I was never that good at max lifts anyway.

#24     Feb 6, 2010

5. Yeah, crazy shit.

Knew some guys could bench crazy weights, couldn't punch worth a damn, another who benched 300# on an average workout.
    And he really could punch, devestating, fast power puncher.
    That's all he could do, but worked extremely well in most situations.

Well, until parole conditions at least.

Never could bench much myself, due to permanent injury, and it being a dumb exercise.

Watching people deadlift 150% of their weight, and throwing tractor tires around leaves me cold, injury waiting to happen.

#25     Feb 7, 2010
  6. well, that's true. I have reappearing injury in my left shoulder which most of the time prevents me from pushing the maximum on the nech. i usually go with safer weight which is slightly more than my own.
    But when making push ups I do lift 172% of my own weight . and 125% of my weight with pull ups.
    I think it is a better way to train to be overall fit and is not as dangerous for joints.

#26     Feb 7, 2010
  7. best single rep 325# while weighing in at 192 and no bench shirt or wraps. This is respectable but not good - I know another individual in same weight class single rep 465# w/o bench shirt
    can talk weight lifting, martial arts and trading all day - :D

#27     Feb 7, 2010
  8. Gcapman

Gcapman

Power benching is stupid IMO

I prefer to do handstand pushups.....

Much more difficult and challenging

#28     Feb 7, 2010