how much can 1 us dollar buy in china?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by noob_trad3r, Jul 29, 2009.

1. heh no way in hell is the Yuan pegged to the dollar. If that was the case you would not have all these Chinese imports.

#11     Jul 29, 2009
  2. Reminiscent of a famous Willie Nelson quote, "I've outlived my dick!" :D

#12     Jul 29, 2009
  3. :D :D :D

My gut feel or my wish, not sure which, is that the USD will harden in the next few ears. Like 1.2 Euro or better. Don't bother to criticize me as I have no idea why I feel that way, and I do not trade on my long term dreams.

#13     Jul 29, 2009
  4. Over the weekend, there were well-known Canadian market folks expressing their desire for the CAD to appreciate.

A strong currency is good for everybody whose assets are denominated in that currency... you know, like THE CITIZENS... except exporters who want to compete on a "cheaper than you" basis.

A strong $USD is in the best intrest of our country as a whole... in spite of the bilge our self-serving, lying, thieving politicos spew.

#14     Jul 29, 2009
  5. sjfan

sjfan

I was wrong. But not for the reason you stated. I completely forgot that in 2007 Yuan became soft pegged to a basket of currencies and no longer exclusively on the dollar.

Your reasoning is completely wrong. The reason why chinese imports are cheap is PRECISELY because they pegged at fixed against the dollar. You might want to read up on basic international finance.

#15     Jul 29, 2009
  6. sjfan

sjfan

um... no... how does the phrase "yuan is [hard pegged] [against the dollar]" mean that yuan is hard against the dollar? Did you read it as "yuan is hard [pegged against] the dollar"?

If you were from an english speaking country, you might not have misconstrued a fairly common sentence construction...

#16     Jul 29, 2009
  7. Didn't they weigh more when they were mostly silver?

#17     Jul 29, 2009
  8. maybe recent big mac index could give a bit of an indication here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#18     Jul 29, 2009
  9. TGregg

TGregg

Coins (and bills) were bigger back then before inflation made `em smaller.

:D :D :D

#19     Jul 29, 2009
  10. We all know that story. In Roman times, there was a unit of money made from copper... it was about 1kg in weight. By the time the Empire fell, that same unit of money had been debased down to about the size of a dime.

#20     Jul 29, 2009