How Melatonin Helps With Fat Loss and Muscle Gain

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Sep 17, 2019.

1. destriero

destriero

No offense to FF, but if you're concerned about getting enough melatonin to improve your anaerobic performance then you don't really lift. It's a good idea to cycle melatonin as it is a steroid and there is receptor saturation and feedback issues. It's not a good idea for kids as again, it's a steroid and it does mess a bit with your endocrinology/sex hormones.

No, it's not anabolic.

#21     Sep 12, 2020
  2. No offense taken. I found the article interesting and so I posted it. I’ve experimented with melatonin from time to time, and would take it after some nights of poor sleep when I was probably due for a good night anyway. It seemed to “work” for a while until it didn’t. And so, I’ve had something of an on-again, off again relationship with the stuff. For example, after my last exchange in this thread I took a quarter of a 5mg pill for two nights. The first night I slept well, the second night not so much. And so, I haven’t taken it since. Although I used to typically take it for longer stretches, I stopped when I would feel a bit “off” at night. (For all I know, that “off” part may have been due to something I ate that day.)

Now that you suggest it should be cycled, it sounds like something I should probably avoid altogether. I probably shouldn’t dabble in areas above my pay grade.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    #22     Sep 12, 2020
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

“The sleep solution” by Chris Winters will help tremendously understand sleep, its importance and steps to take to get sleeping like a baby.

For starters it’s when the glymphatic system works at its optimal to drain the toxins from the brain. What the lymphatic does for our bodies.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    #23     Sep 13, 2020
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

Start with sleep hygiene lol. No for real, it’s the first steps one should take when trying to improve sleep. . No lights and I mean pitch dark because light will contradict/negate melatonin by releasing histamine. . No sound and 67-70 degrees. You have to go through sleep cycle without skipping steps, fragmented sleep could mean you are going from wakeful to REM or deep sleep skipping stage N1 and N2. No bueno.

#24     Sep 13, 2020
  5. Thanks for the suggestion, although I’m already reasonably familiar with sleep hygiene. Read this book a few years ago, and following ~some of the principles:

#25     Sep 13, 2020
    ElCubano likes this.
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

Hygiene is the first steps one should take but not always the solution. There is sleep schedule, the time of your last meal and truly understanding sleep are also additional steps. Good luck.

#26     Sep 14, 2020
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
  7. Yes, I've gradually had to space more time between my last meal of the day and bedtime in order to get a good night's sleep.

#27     Sep 14, 2020
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

The best night sleeps I've had have been on a 3 or 5 day fast.

#28     Sep 14, 2020
  9. Can't do it. Even with intermittent fasting and a reasonably wide feeding window, I've recently lost a bit of weight (and I'm not sure all of it was fat), and am only now beginning to get some of it back. Giving up my workouts isn't an option. And so, full-on fasting isn't even a consideration.

#29     Sep 14, 2020
    ElCubano likes this.
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

#30     Sep 14, 2020
    Frederick Foresight likes this.