How Melatonin Helps With Fat Loss and Muscle Gain

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Had difficulty with fractured sleep lately for some time. I had taken melatonin for sleeplessness in the past with mixed results. Finally I took 3 mgs of melatonin the last 2 nights and slept fairly well. Even better last night than the night before. Possibly coincidence, possibly a bit of placebo, too. But I'll remain on it for a while and then taper off. With any luck, I'll also be bursting with all kinds of new muscle. :D

#11     Apr 3, 2020
  2. daffodal

daffodal

The research findings indicated that melatonin has a beneficial effect on body composition and fat burning - site. Supplementing with melatonin for 12 months could help reduce body fat. Melatonin is involved in energy metabolism and weight loss. But you still have to do physical exercises and eat less food in order to lose weight.

#12     Sep 4, 2020
  3. Millionaire

Millionaire

I often take 0.1 mgs of melatonin, it really helps me sleep.
    So your dosage is 30x times mine.

There was an MIT study that said 0.3 mgs was the optimal amount.
    Less being a better dose than more.

But i can get a good nights sleep with even a fraction of that small amount.

Melatonin isnt toxic, so you can take big doses if you want, it shouldn't do any harm, although i wonder if high dosages mean your body will stop producing it
    naturally.

https://news.mit.edu/2001/melatonin-1017

#13     Sep 4, 2020
  4. Good post. I read somewhere a while back that low doses of melatonin are better for sleep than higher doses. I think it might have been a piece written by Andrew Weil reporting on a similar study (or this very one). I also read somewhere that while melatonin helps with REM sleep, it may interfere with deep sleep. But don't quote me on that one.

The thing is, how do you get only 0.3 mgs of the stuff, let alone 0.1 mgs? The smallest dose I ever saw was 3 mgs. Do you just lick the pill a couple of times? :D

#14     Sep 4, 2020
  5. Millionaire

Millionaire

I cut up 0.3 mgs (300 microgram) pills into approximates quarters.

You have to figure out what dosage works for you, for some people it makes no difference regardless of dose size, they report it doesn't help them at all.

#15     Sep 4, 2020
  6. deaddog

deaddog

My new toy is a watch that measures what kind of sleep I get. Deep sleep, light sleep, REM and awake.

I average 7hrs 56 minutes a night
    11 minutes deep
    2 hr 2 min REM
    5 hr 43 min Light
    22 min awake (us old guys gotta pee)

Thought I'd try Melatonin (10mg) to see if I could improve Deep Sleep.
    So far I don't see a significant difference in Deep sleep although REM has decreased and Light sleep increased. Dreams are more vivid.

I'll try cutting back the dosage to see if that makes a difference.

#16     Sep 4, 2020
  7. Millionaire

Millionaire

Wowsers, thats a 100x times the nightly dose i use. And might even be the same as i take in a whole year as i dont take it every night.

#17     Sep 4, 2020
  8. deaddog

deaddog

When I was battling cancer I had a naturopath prescribe melatonin to lessen the side effects of the radiation treatment. Dosage recommended was to keep increasing the dosage until the nightmares go too bad. I was up to 7 or 8 10mg tablets a night.

#18     Sep 4, 2020
  9. Millionaire

Millionaire

I once read they did experiments on rats, the rats were given massive doses, and did not die regardless of much melatonin they were given.

#19     Sep 4, 2020
  10. deaddog

deaddog

Cut back to 1.5 mg (1/4 5mg tablet)

Deep sleep has increased to an average of 25 minutes and seems to be increasing every day.

Also turning off all electronic devises an hour before I go to bed. No tablet, phone or TV; relax and read a book. Seems to help.

#20     Sep 12, 2020