How many years away are we from a no BS backtesting program?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by krosny, Jul 6, 2006.

1. krosny

krosny

Hi!
    Newbie here. One message I'm getting in this forum is that today's backtesting programs simply aren't sophisticated enough to account for real world trading conditions. Is there a backtesting program in existence today that gives you a no BS real world simulation of bottom line, in the bank, before tax profits? Or are we still years away from such a program?

2. I see you did three (your first 3) posts within 15 minutes, all with essentially the same subject. Is it possible for you to gather your thoughts and compress your musings in a single question? Next time?

Ursa..

3. Bob111

Bob111

if existing soft is not enough for you or aren't sophisticated simply create your own. no big deal,works for me :D

4. How many years away are we from a no BS backtesting program?

For an eternity for most (95+%).

Only that rare breed of winners have designed "no BS" backtesting for themselves.

5. Watch it, NN, this asshole may turn into a sponsor and get us all banned. Can I have some mustard with my spam, please?

6. Never! Backtesting is a fools paradise. All systems work some of the time, no system works all of the time. Start with S/R, add a moving average or two, and trade. Strict money management is the real key to success. In the end, you must jump in to the live fire. Good luck, and welcome to the frey.:D

7. The other message you should be getting from this EliteTrader.com is that traders have different needs or looking for something different thats important to him/her while unimportant to another trader at ET.

To design one backtesting program that meets the needs of all traders regardless to the trading instrument, trading style, data, real like trading conditions that takes into account things that most traders see but don't talk about and dozens of other variables...

That will be one heck of a program.

I doubt such can be designed and if I'm wrong...few probably could afford it.

Mark

8. El Capitan! Why do I think that you are someone else, reincarnated under a new handle? We are having lively dialogues in the Strategy forum which all of ET is marvelling at. Models of civility and decorum! I invite you to start a thread there and wow us with your wisdom. The ability to alliterate is appreciated, if not required. I personally will hang on every word! Help me renovate ET, polish its brass, and return it to its former glory!

9. ElCubano

ElCubano

dayum..i want to be like you when im 61...this guys got spunk

10. My man, the only requirements to be happy at 61 are to wake up every morning alive and with a hard-on.

#10     Jul 6, 2006