How Many World Champions do we have?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by TiffanyTrades, Apr 21, 2017.

1. I understand the Super Bowl.

The New England Patriots won it.

But these International Trading Champions?

How come everyone has won the championship for the last 5 years? LOL

Rob Hoffman has been pushing that forever.

Just now I saw a CNBC commercial for Chuck Hughes who also won.

I get emails from two others who are world champions.

How come Warren Buffett and Paul Tudor Jones don't enter these so called championships?

777 and ironchef like this.
  2. Those contests, legit ones and not, are for wannabes looking to make a name for themselves. PTJ and Buffett don't need it.

Never heard of "World" trading championships until Chuck Hughes claims to have won 8(?) Times. Then again, maybe there were only 2 entrants?? Maybe had only $5K at risk??

I do know one ETer who won a US Investing Championship (year long, $500K real money, audited contest... results published in Barrons and IBD) + one other who claims to have won US Futures Trading Championship. (Not claiming he didn't, just don't have personal knowledge of proof.)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Occam likes this.
  3. Cmoss

Cmoss

I believe the US of A are back to back world war champs (pending audit of course)

4. That kind of thinking makes the Left proud. "Everybody is a winner" in the US! Trophies all around.

Cmoss likes this.
  5. Cmoss

Cmoss

when you're right, you're right.

6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Everyone has NOT won the International Trading Champions.

I never get emails like what people are talking about such like you. I must have a really good spam protector. :D

There's many other international trading competitions. Several years ago I mention several others (e.g. Rotman International University Trading competions, University Trading Challenge including some that were algo tournaments) including the World Cup Trading Championships along with names of some of the winners. Most of the replies were attacking those people as fake, book sellers, vendors or bogus audits. Heck, I even posted links to actual Youtube video recordings of live trades on a big screen with audiences and judges monitoring the trades of some of the competition as they occurred in real-time.

Traders audited continuously in real-time.

marketsurfer was one of those that was highly critical of those tournaments I mentioned and critical of the links to recorded videos of live trades along with being critical of some of the winners.

I just left it at that before it could turn into a psssing match.

P.S. Isn't Warren Buffett and Paul Tudor Jones like investors and not traders ??? Thus, I'm a little confused about why you're comparing them about why they didn't enter those trading competitions.

7. What I enjoy reading are many of these so called "big time winners" that get called before the
    Regulatory agencies, and enter consent decrees.

Obviously the biggest winner that had CPA certification was Bernard Madoff.

There is one "famous" person, whose name I will not mention (hate defamation law suits).

Wrote a best selling book over 30 years ago.

Two guys took opposite positions in the markets. They waited until the market produced an equity swing of One Million Dollars.

The one who made the million wrote a book about it.

I feel like writing a trading book, LOL.

Less risk than really trading.

777 likes this.
  8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I've read about a few winners getting into trouble with their government tax agencies.

Basically they under-reported (that's another way of saying they lied) about their actual income from their trading. Thus, they owed more taxes and essential were tax evading.

Another winner was accused of being "linked" to one of the markets flash crash although he was never arrested. Another accused later after a competition that he was doing "insider trading".

Heck, a few later got involved in politics in their countries. :rolleyes:

9. Contests are kind of fun for silly bragging rights; but what's really important and only important....is your real world trading performance and abilities, o_O :confused:

People should posts their real world trader broker acct info/performance records;

But that's not really necessary...I'll just assume that 99% of people out there are not profitable, or just barely keeping their heads afloat.

Like everything in life...only 1% are truly fruitfully profitable in abundance in their given field or endeavor.

10. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

They did post their broker accounts and trading records during the competitions. All the competitions were audited and monitor live by judges. Some as the competitions in Paris were live in real-time in front of an audience on big screens...live real money trading.

Not sure what they need to do further to prove anything and it just shows that no matter what they've done in those competitions...folks just aren't going to believe it.

The issue I just don't understand is why some evaded their tax obligations or why some have gone into politics. :D

#10     Apr 21, 2017