How many traders have hands that hurt?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by DagoTradin', Apr 30, 2003.

1. Andre

Andre

Swimming is great for the body. I'm a horrible swimmer though.

Something else, another suggestion-become proficient using the mouse in your off hand. In a previous life I was a draftsman, and the CAD program we used was really facilitated by using the mouse with your left hand for the menu pull downs and your right hand to use the arrow keys through the menus.

I don't know about trading with your offhand if you're scalping pennies. But you might try it after market or during research, etc. I think it took less two 2 weeks to improve the fine motor skills enough to really use it well for CAD. I can use either, and if a hand aches a bit I just switch.

André

#21     May 2, 2003
  2. Im 28 and im in pretty good shape. I surf 4 + times a week and hit the gym up when it is flat.Im still a rookie trader and the time I have been spending in front of the screen lately is an extra 6-10 hours a day.I am going to be adding my second screen to the mix next week and I think that could definatly cut down the clicking and help.

Any Suggestions out there for the best chairs for trading?

#22     May 2, 2003
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

you need wireless mouse & keyboard
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/wie_info.asp

#23     May 2, 2003
  4. prox

prox

I used to play Asheron's Call too much and got really bad carpal tunnel from clicking buttons several hundred times a day.

Best thing to do would keep your wrist straight when you click, try to avoid arching it. If possible, have a chair with an arm rest that can be aligned so you can rest your elbow exactly the level of your table and mouse.

You also want to strengthen your hand with a squish tension ball since carpal tunnel degrades your hand strength to that of an 80 year old grandmother. It was pretty alarming for me when my hands first kept shaking, but after a couple of years it goes away without surgery.

I'm not much for the ergo mouse, ergo keyboard crap. Marketing crap that prey on people's fears.

Research shows that people who regularly use sunscreen actually get 3 times more skin cancer than people who don't. Simply because they get overconfident and stay out in the sun too long. Regulate your computer activity and save your hands for the wife.

#24     May 2, 2003

5. ok.you're young to probably not have to worry about this.but the reason I asked those questions is , if you're geting pains in a hand that you do not use for the mouse...and you're getting any discoloration, it could be something a lot worse than just simple carpel synd.

recently a friend of mine found out he had major blockage in his leg...he had been experiencing pain for months , but some doctors mis-diagnosed.......eventually, his toes became red, blistered...he went to ER..no blood pressure in the leg
    he had emergency bi-pass
    this guy is in decent shape...
    anyway...i hear those Herman Miller Aeron chairs are the best

#25     May 2, 2003