How many times do you restart IB TWS per day?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by aeliodon, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Tums

Tums

try a reboot to clear out the system.

#21     Feb 21, 2007
  2. 865 had some issues with quotes freezing. I went back to 864 and I'm still there. I don't know if you can anymore, you might need to go to 867 but stay away from 865.

#22     Feb 21, 2007
  3. Here is a useful hint.

Years ago, when TWS was much less reliable and stable than currently, I would sometimes need to restart TWS in order to remove a magenta color-coded order, or to correct some other condition. This was a very time consuming and disruptive process, so I suggested to IB that they can and should provide some way to invoke this clearing procedure from within TWS, as a function of TWS, which can be performed without a restart of TWS. They agreed, and then provided this functionality as a hot key. I just press <CTRL><ALT>R, and it resets the TWS, thereby clearing out most magenta orders and other error conditions, without any need for a restart. This was extremely useful, for a time, but now I hardly ever use it, because TWS has become so stable and reliable that I haven't needed it. I can trade a little more confidently, knowing that if I do need to reset TWS, and I can do it with a hot key instead of by a restart.

My suggestion is that the next time you have a situation in which you think you need to restart TWS, first try this hotkey, and see if it solves your problem more easily and quickly.

#23     Feb 21, 2007
  4. sprstpd

sprstpd

How did you set up this hotkey from within your TWS?

#24     Feb 22, 2007
  5. hi. what is the name of this function?thanks:cool:

#25     Feb 22, 2007

6. NOTICE: A technical problem with EliteTrader prevented my posting from appearing correctly. You access the hotkey by typing ctrl-alt-R. The punctuation symbols I used, in order to describe this keying, prevented the ctrl and alt parts of the keying from appearing in my post. So I repeat: you type ctrl-alt-R, not just merely R.

You do not configure this hotkey, the way you configure other hotkeys. This hotkey comes pre-configured and cannot be modified. This hotkey does not appear in the hotkey configuration screens. This is a special hotkey which cannot be modified by the user. Try it!

I do not believe IB has ever publicly named, or even documented, this feature. I would think an appropriate name for the function would be "reset", because that is what it does, and because they did use a hotkey involving the letter R.

#26     Feb 22, 2007
  7. sprstpd

sprstpd

Awesome, thanks.

#27     Feb 22, 2007

8. k, i bring this to the DAV's attention;

u asked me for a screenshot of charts. here u go...no body on candles:

#28     Feb 22, 2007
  9. Make sure Javaw.exe is running at REAL-TIME priority. I have a Java app and that's what I use.
    Best to get this program to insure it stays that way everytime you restart TWS:
    http://www.prioritymaster.com
    This program also effectively LOWERS all other non-essential processes / programs.

#29     Feb 22, 2007
  10. I haven't had it lock up, but I only use the standard trading window, no DOM or charts or anything. Which windows do you use?

I use it from a browser - actually, it hands the file off to Java's JNLP, which launches it in a separate process.

Occasionally, when it loses network connectivity, it freezes for a few seconds (and the borders between lines and columns change to red), but when it gets connectivity back everything is back to normal (except all non-active order lines get erased, sigh.)

#30     Feb 23, 2007