How many times do you restart IB TWS per day?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by aeliodon, Feb 21, 2007.

1. couple of times 3 max a day.

on a note to reps, bars/candles charts on new built web-browser dont have bodies. problem with charts also during first day of previous release where nothing updated.

#11     Feb 21, 2007
  2. The need to restart TWS is an extremely rare event for me.

#12     Feb 21, 2007
  3. Never.

TWS 866.5 standalone. Java 1.6.

#13     Feb 21, 2007
  4. nassau

nassau

we usually suggest the traders reboot at least once a day.
    usually after 12 when the UK market has closed and things slow down .
    I have noticed over the years most softwares freeze especially when the market is moving.
    we have a business 5meg download and 3 out with our computers used strictly for trading not for browsing and we just about daily have freezing from IB's, esignal and our back up broker.
    par for the course.
    I get more frustrated by the constant delays (minutes) from the nyse giving bid/ask on stocks and options

w

#14     Feb 21, 2007
  5. I run TWS for 15 hours every day only restarting during the 4pm break.

Heres a slightly related question about restarting TWS that I didn't think deserved its own thread, Im hoping someone will be able to answer it. I placed a Limit order on Globex to buy a calendar spread, one time when I restarted TWS it reappeared, the last time I tried this the order did not reappear. Does this mean the order is gone? Or is it possible that the order is still sitting on globex waiting to be filled and TWS just doesn't see it anymore? Thanks

#15     Feb 21, 2007
  6. nassau

nassau

we usually suggest the traders reboot at least once a day.
    usually after 12 when the UK market has closed and things slow down .
    I have noticed over the years most softwares freeze especially when the market is moving.
    we have a business 5meg download and 3 out with our computers used strictly for trading not for browsing and we just about daily have freezing from IB's, esignal and our back up broker.
    par for the course.
    I get more frustrated by the constant delays (minutes) from the nyse giving bid/ask on stocks and options

w

#16     Feb 21, 2007
  7. nassau

nassau

we have had similiar situations occur and notice the order is not in pending also and to ensure the order is not working we call IB directly as we have been previoulsy fed a position that was not visible and we were not aware existed. The problem is you may not be fred the position for days? depending on the stocks move and beta.

good luck

w

#17     Feb 21, 2007
  8. sprstpd

sprstpd

Yes, it is possible that the order has disappeared from your TWS and yet it is still active. I have had this happen before although it was several years ago. If you ever have this issue, call IB and track the order down by phone (or by chat).

As for the TWS, I never have to restart it.

#18     Feb 21, 2007
  9. i had problems with my isp where it would go offline.when it went back online the tws wouldnt update some quotes and had to restart. but othere than that i never had problems

#19     Feb 21, 2007
  10. ================
    Battle River had some good go with the flow comments;
    have had that happen occasionaly.

WalterJ;
    I usually call customer service promptly & if they need to refer to trade desk, thats fine. Had that happen a few times over the years.

Sell limit order order on ES did the same thing once ;
    noticed it kept trading thru my price with no fill. [Green color indicated order was being worked at CME; didnt know why it didnt show fill???]]
    Actually had unknowlingly filled at the correct time/price,
    but Isp had gone down briefly. So relog in to TWS confirmed what the trade desk said.
    :cool:

#20     Feb 21, 2007