How many scientists really dispute global warming?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Well I am sure you have heard about "limiting beliefs".........they are your own enforced mental enprisoning. In the end, it is always your choice! :)

#21     Jan 1, 2010
  2. Why don't you exercise some of your "open mindedness" which as you keep telling us you possess in vastly greater quantities than mere mortals, go and read the latest IPCC report and come back with a reasoned argument showing the world it's scientific flaws?

You see, the climate doesn't care about conspiracies, democrats or republicans, the Federal Reserve, new world orders or the holiness of the American flag. It just "is".

How warming is to be slowed or mitigated certainly raises many political issues, but science is science and facts are facts. While Alex Jones can exhibit nothing remotely resembling a balanced attitude towards the science and just spews forth a brand of low grade political propaganda, he confines himself to the lunatic fringe.

#22     Jan 2, 2010
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

I can't help but wonder if the MMGW folks are doing the same with their numbers.

Hence my question, how many of the 12,000,000 are qualified climatologists?

#23     Jan 2, 2010
  4. I was just wondering why US weather service doesn't reports the Atlantic ocean water temperatures anymore.
    My wild guess is that water temperature in Atlantic ocean this year( 2009 ) was lower then in the year 2008 which was the number 1 reason for no major hurricane developing this past hurricane season.

Is it the global warming which causes the Atlantic ocean be colder then previous year ? Just asking, dunno, i ain't climatologista.

#24     Jan 2, 2010
  5. You are absolutely right about the climate not caring. Thats why the late 90's were warmer than any time during the next 10 years. The climate did not know that a group of statist scoundrels were trying to swindle the world.

Al Gore on the other hand is on his way to becoming a billionaire by perpetrating the fraud but the liberal democrats have no problem bringing him in front of Congress every year to testify. No one told the climate that its lack of cooperation may derail Al Gore's goals.

#25     Jan 2, 2010
  6. That's (unsurprisingly) factually incorrect. Show us on this NASA chart which years you mean:

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt

#26     Jan 2, 2010
  7. Global warming appears to have stalled. Climatologists are puzzled as to why average global temperatures have stopped rising over the last 10 years. Some attribute the trend to a lack of sunspots, while others explain it through ocean currents.

Actually it is 100% correct. In bigdavediodes world it might be incorrect, however the climate does not care about bigdaves world.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,662092-2,00.html

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,662092,00.html
    Climatologists Baffled by Global Warming Time-Out

Climatologists use their computer models to draw temperature curves that continue well into the future. They predict that the average global temperature will increase by about three degrees Celsius (5.4 degrees Fahrenheit) by the end of the century, unless humanity manages to drastically reduce greenhouse gas emissions. However, no one really knows what exactly the world climate will look like in the not-so-distant future, that is, in 2015, 2030 or 2050.

This is because it is not just human influence but natural factors that affect the Earth's climate. For instance, currents in the world's oceans are subject to certain cycles, as is solar activity. Major volcanic eruptions can also curb rising temperatures in the medium term. The eruption of Mount Pinatubo in June 1991, for example, caused world temperatures to drop by an average of 0.5 degrees Celsius, thereby prolonging a cooler climate phase that had begun in the late 1980s.

But the Mount Pinatubo eruption happened too long ago to be related to the current slowdown in global warming. So what is behind this more recent phenomenon?

Weaker Solar Activity

The fact is that the sun is weakening slightly. Its radiation activity is currently at a minimum, as evidenced by the small number of sunspots on its surface. According to calculations performed by a group of NASA scientists led by David Rind, which were recently published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters, this reduced solar activity is the most important cause of stagnating global warming.

Latif, on the other hand, attributes the stagnation to so-called Pacific decadal oscillation (PDO). This phenomenon in the Pacific Ocean allows a larger volume of cold deep-sea water to rise to the surface at the equator. According to Latif, this has a significant cooling effect on the Earth's atmosphere.

With his team at the Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences, Latif has been one of the first to develop a model to create medium-term prognoses for the next five to 10 years. "We are slowly starting to attempt (such models)," says Marotzke, who is also launching a major project in this area, funded by the Federal Ministry for Research and Technology.

Despite their current findings, scientists agree that temperatures will continue to rise in the long term. The big question is: When will it start getting warmer again?

If the deep waters of the Pacific are, in fact, the most important factor holding up global warming, climate change will remain at a standstill until the middle of the next decade, says Latif. But if the cooling trend is the result of reduced solar activity, things could start getting warmer again much sooner. Based on past experience, solar activity will likely increase again in the next few years.

Betting on Warmer Temperatures

The Hadley Center group expects warming to resume in the coming years. "That resumption could come as a bit of a jolt," says Hadley climatologist Adam Scaife, explaining that natural cyclical warming would then be augmented by the warming effect caused by anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions.

While climatologists at conferences engage in passionate debates over when temperatures will start rising again, global warming's next steps have also become the subject of betting activity.

Climatologist Stefan Rahmstorf is so convinced that his predictions will be correct in the end that he is willing to back up his conviction with a €2,500 ($3,700) bet. "I will win," says Rahmstorf.

His adversary Latif turned down the bet, saying that the matter was too serious for gambling. "We are scientists, not poker players."

BigDaveDiode, you and the MMGW crew are a bunch of frauds. Have you forgotten that we have the emails that show the hoaxsters cooking the data? You have no credibility.

#27     Jan 2, 2010
  8. I didn't ask for some article written by a journalist, nor made up nonsense about emails.

I showed you the data and I'm asking you to point out which exact years were hotter, rather than a vague "late 90's."

It's that simple. Point it out for us here: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt

Which years?

#28     Jan 2, 2010
  9. kut2k2

kut2k2

Wrong as usual. The hottest year on record is 2005, not 1998.

"Your shit is weak, dude." Classic projection. :D

#29     Jan 2, 2010

10. So a bunch of "scientists" who are exchanging emails which highlights their fraud is "nonsense"?

#30     Jan 2, 2010