How many rich guys fight in wars?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FRuiTY PeBBLe, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Before I start, I don't have any statistics to back up my claims. My beliefs are just a guess.

I'll put it simply:

I think it's fucked up how the less fortunate do the grunt work for the rich people.

My thesis is that if you were to find the median income for Americans, you would probably find that the majority of soldiers who put their lives on the lines would be on the poorer half.

What pisses me off the most is that many rich people didn't even earn it. Bill Gates' son (if he has one) will never fight in a war. Some guy working 40 hours a week to pay his rent will. Bill Gates' son won't end up in a war because of LUCK. While some rich guy is banging supermodels, the average young guy is protecting our country (so the rich guy can bang his girl in a free country).

Finally, I would like to say that the "rich" Americans who do serve their country just for the sake of being an American should be proud of themselves (as well as any soldier who puts his/her life on the line).

2. The rich people fund the soldiers with their large taxes... so I voted for option 2...

3. That may be true, but that isn't the issue.

If someone is going to be born by luck into a rich family (say Bill Gates' son) and live in a free country like America, why should he not have to defend his country, too?

I'm undecided on this, but I used to be someone who didn't like the draft. However, as I get older, I think there should be one and also have the current volunteer army. I suppose we could not force the draftees to fight in combat, but they should serve their country in some way. WE ALL LIVE HERE, WE SHOULD ALL DO OUR PART. Paying a lot of taxes because you were born luckly is not that same as putting your life on the line for your country.

FRuiTY

4. Who is more annoying with their relentless poll making?

A) FrUiTy LoOpS
    or
    B) Candletrader

I can't decide.

5. Here's one of the reasons I bring this up now.

With the war being all over the news, I remember a few years ago the Army or someone called my house trying to recruit me. They do try to pressure you into it, so you have to say no a few times before they stop asking. Anyway, I remember my decline was something like, "it's just not for me." Now that I'm a few years older, WHAT A STUPID THING OF ME TO SAY.

Of course it's for me. It's for every American who is going to live in our country. I was only like 18 at the time, so I forgive myself for having such a stupid response.

FRuiTY P.

6. lol polls are cool.

FRuiTY

p.s. candletrader :cool:

7. rs7

rs7

The last time the US fought in a declared war was World War II, in which we were provoked to declare war by an attack by a recognized foreign country.

In that war, like in previous declared wars, American soldiers from all backgrounds participated.

For example, take a look at the history of our Presidents. From the Revolutionary War, through World War II, the majority of the Presidents that were of "soldiering age" during conflicts prior to their elections, were indeed participants in those conflicts.

Certainly there were some exceptions. FDR was physically unable to be a soldier in WWI. But, for example, after WWII was over, the elected Presidents included Eisenhower, Kennedy, Bush Senior who were veterans of that war. Kennedy and Bush were particularly wealthy going in. Lyndon Johnson (also a wealthy guy) was in the Navy but asked by Roosevelt to return to government duty. Nixon (not wealthy) was in the service. As was Ford. Dole and other "also rans" were veterans of WWII. (During the end of WWII, Truman was in the White House, and he was a veteran of WWI). Carter served in the Korean conflict, as did Eisenhower (this guy was in them all....WWI and II and Korea). Reagan was asked to make movies for the Department of War (I guess propaganda movies...not familiar with what he did exactly except for play with Bonzo).

Going back, as we all know, Washington and all the "founding fathers" were extraordinarily wealthy. And they virtually all fought (some were just too old to be actively involved).

The other wars we were involved in produced Presidents too. Off the top of my head, Andrew Jackson, Teddy Roosevelt, US Grant, etc. There were plenty more, but these guys stand out for their military service. Even Lincoln was a soldier for a time (not long). As were many others. But Jackson, T.Roosevelt and Grant were military leaders like Eisenhower was in his time.

It is only when you have an unpopular war that essentially was fought by reluctant conscripts (Vietnam) that those who could "afford" to stay out, did, in many cases. But still, in today's government leaders, we have plenty of vets of that war. McCain, Kerry, Gore to name a few who have been mentioned as Presidential nominees.

A just and declared war has never consisted of an army limited by social or economic differences among those that serve.

We just haven't had that kind of war in a long time.

Thankfully!

Peace,
    :)rs7

8. Fruity, the volunteer system is fine.

I lived in Israel until 1995, and when the recruiters called me up, I didn't have your luxury of saying 'no it's not for me'.

I was drafted, and forced to bear 3 years of the worst torture of my life. I was wishing for my own death every day back then, yet I saw that some of the soldiers there were doing far better than I was- they actually seemed as if life in uniform fit them quite well.

Living as conscripted soldier is not freedom- Make no mistake about it, living as a conscript for a free country feels no different than living under a tyranical dictatorship. Try taking irrational orders from some higher ranking schmuck with half your IQ, and you'll see what I mean.

Some people can deal with this sort of crap and volunteer, many can not.

EDIT- The volunteer system is fine for AMERICA. Israel, surrounded by bloodthirsty Mud-Slimes, has no choice but to put its boys through the same hell I went through.

9. Yup, I like em too :cool: