How many overclock?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Babak, May 12, 2003.

1. Babak

Babak

I'm just curious if any traders out there overclock their CPUs to squeeze extra juice out? Any thoughts? Is it advisable? Dangerous? TIA :)

(I'm a non techie so be gentle)

2. Monsoon

Monsoon

I doubt its worth it... especially if you arent tech savvy... too many risks

3. Overcocking a computer...is the same as building a Hot Rod. You ca make it fast but wouldn't want to depend on it.

In our Business we need a stable Tool to trade with.

Michael B.

P.S. if you have an extra computer it would be fun though.

4. Screw overclocking.. If you do overclock don't skimp on the larger coling fan, or if you got the dough get something from these guys for performance www.alienware.com their systems are excellent. A Gamer/Traders wet dream.

5. In this instance, and in a time when there is so much cheap hardware out there (new and used, eBay), why bother. If you're trading, with the occassional gaming, it doesn't really make sense to overtax your system for the thrill of it. Just get another setup in place and trade on. :)

6. Salmon

Salmon

I just overclock my memory, latency from 3 on 2, latency often cost you money.

7. taodr

taodr

I did overclock for a while but felt I didn't want to crash my computer. Right now I am trying OPERA browsers and I find it fast. It's like overclocking. Certainly only 3 days but it beats microsoft by far and I'm not having pop-ups.

8. I used to o/c my Cel 400 Mhz to 450 Mhz, very stable, but the CPU heat increased about 15 - 20%.
    Now I have a Cel 1.7 Ghz, and haven't tried to o/c it.... I guest I grew out of that phase. :)

Overclocking is not purely for speed, but also for the feeling that you had your saying to the marketing of Intel. A few years ago (not sure if it same for today), the P3 and the Celeron were almost the same chip. Purely for marketing purposes, Intel devided them into 2 categories, to have a more $$ and a cheaper version. The thrill of o/c was to get the cheaper version and make it into the $$ version CPU, and show your finger to Intel.
    The 50Mhz I queezed out of my Celeron increased the frame rate in my 3-D gaming, but in regular Window uses, no big deal.

If you want to o/c, you should search and read to know what you are doing, because not only you could burn your CPU, you could also fry the peripherals (memories, sound bd, graphic bd...)

Cheers !!:)

9. gnome

gnome

Want more speed? Try adding "Propel" to Opera. Beats IE by a mile. (I've been using it for a couple of months. Worth the $5/mo if you surf a lot... imo.)

www.propel.com

10. taodr

taodr

Propel: Thanks but I have high speed cable. Opera seems to deal with surfing much better the microsoft.

#10     May 14, 2003