How many of you save anything?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by andrasnm, Dec 26, 2005.

Do you save anything month to month?

1. Yes, I am very frugal

86 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. No, I live for the moment and spend it like there is no tomorrow

13 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. I try to save but peer presure, spouse have ill effect

18 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. #21     Dec 27, 2005
  2. I spend 100% of all my interest earnings sometimes.
    well sometimes 55%

don't exactly have that much things to buy these days anyway. Buy a few new music cds every week
    take out the girl, outings, 3-4 nice meals outside a week max
    grocery shopping,
    electric/gas

Keeping it nice and comfortable while staying minimal.

#22     Dec 27, 2005
  3. Cheese

Cheese

My reply was in response to the subject of the thread .. whether to 'save anything'.
    :)

#23     Dec 27, 2005
  4. Yes, save a certain %%;
    looks like these posters save above average.

My banker dad must have told me several thousand times or more when i was a kid ,
    when he opened savings acounts for clients

:cool:

#24     Dec 30, 2005
  5. bkk

bkk Guest

Why should you save when money market rates of 3% are well below the real inflation rate of 11%?

Do you think Bernanke is not going to start revving up the printing presses when he sees the stock market going nowhere?

Buy now! Everything will only get more expensive and your savings more worthless. Welcome to hyperinflation in 2006!

#25     Dec 30, 2005
  6. I 'll buy gold or real estate but not SUV's, rolex watches and american built cars...

#26     Dec 30, 2005
  7. vinceb

vinceb

I save 80% of my paychecks.

#27     Dec 31, 2005
  8. rolex holds and appreciates in value.

just for your info.

#28     Dec 31, 2005
    • I drive a 1990 Plymouth Voyager with simulated woodgrain siding and have not had an automobile loan since Oct 1995.
    • Wifey and I, shop at Costco and Sams Club.
    • I buy several "entertainment" books with half off coupons and use the Safeway stores $5.00 off coupons first....(the cashiers never look at the dates that should be used)
    • We do not celebrate Xmas
    • Any spare money is earning interest and we do not carry cash
    • When we buy a property to live in, the downpayment, the loan structure and the purchase price is adjusted and balanced to reduce monthly outgo as it just has to make sense. In our 10 year plan to retire earlier we plan a move every 1-3 years. We are in "tier one" of our plan, in our Metro Denver Studio Condo :))
    • We buy our Gym nutrition wholesale from a friend.
    • We prepay anything for a year or whatever, if it yields a savings more than the prevailing interest cost to tie up the money...usually a pre-pay is much more than the cost of funds.
    • We do not need or have a cell phone, a Sams Club Calling card suffices.
    • Credit card bills are paid in full each month and used heavily for rebates, added insurance and float.
    • Taxes are paid quarterly. but most ET'rs don't need to worry about this as they are not profitable. :)
    • Club cards and the like at the grocery stores are utilized.
    • We do keep EVERY receipt and return more than the average folks do. An easy way to keep receipts is to put a shoebox in the car.
    • Wifey is thawing out some london broil bought for half off, plus a 5 buck off coupon, plus 10% off, bought at Safeway last month.

Folks living frugally really is not the term, I like to use. Wifey and I enjoy frequent nights out and I can spend money easily, if its a good value.

#29     Dec 31, 2005
  9. most of my savings gets pumped into the cigar industry:D

#30     Dec 31, 2005