How many of you need to learn coding to work with data ?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Spikeet, Jun 14, 2022.

1. 2rosy

2rosy

trivial sql. but why a few seconds should be milliseconds.
    this is just scanning constraints and boundary conditions. it's not even realtime. focus on graphics and visuals... the masses like hypnosis

#51     Jun 16, 2022
    d08 likes this.
  2. Zwaen

Zwaen

Try to analyze > 1 year spy options data (weekly! quotes only) with excel: it’s just inconvenient and becomes very slow.

But I still like excel because it gives more ‘ feel’ with the data. So python /R for data etl/ manipulation and excel for deeper analysis/scenario simulation.

I think it’s just general evolution ( not only trading) From mental arithmetic, to calculator, to excel and now coding.

if you need to start just start with a simple project you find interesting and google /stackoverflow yourself in it

#52     Jun 16, 2022
    virtusa likes this.
  3. virtusa

virtusa

If you are a professional in any discipline (sport, job, hobby...), you can easily detect who is professional and who is a novice.

Just read posts, see the questions that are asked, see the way people try to build a profitable system, read the trolls comments...

For trading it is not different. The nonsense I sometimes read is hilarious and beyond what I was thinking as the border of utterly stupidity.

I sometimes wonder if ET is a website for traders.

I am just here to kill time while waiting to get in or out of a trade.

#53     Jun 16, 2022
    pstrusi likes this.
  4. SunTrader

SunTrader

My comment many trade without programming has nothing to with just ET traders. I have no idea how many ET traders use or don't use programming because there is no way for anyone to know.

#54     Jun 16, 2022
  5. Spikeet

Spikeet

that's a good question. well, some people don't need to automate everything. They have their data in excel or some format, analyze it, dig into it and find correlations and edges, and then manually trade or build an automatic system that does for them.
    some traders are fully systematic, some are half, some are discretionary.

We plan to build tools that backtest and trade as well.

#55     Jun 16, 2022
  6. Analyzing, digging in, finding correlations and edges, all that requires some kind of coding. I don't see how you could do this with just excel. I mean you sort of can... but it's getting into ridiculous levels of effort to avoid learning to code. I remain skeptical, but if you can actually find enough of a market of these people, more power to you.

I think that makes the concept a lot more compelling. Please warn people about overfitting though, or add some kind of walk forward test and not just back test.

Especially since you are targeting people who don't code, they might be less mathematically oriented and not have a good intuition about this. Your product could make it very easy to overfit which will lead to a lot of resentment from customers when their awesome stategy loses a bunch of real money.

#56     Jun 16, 2022
  7. Still waiting for you to support that accusation with evidence, or admit you are wrong.

Sorry to be a pain, but my integrity is important to me.

GAT

#57     Jun 17, 2022
    apdxyk likes this.
  8. Spikeet

Spikeet

Stop spamming this feed, i will have to contact the admin to remove you and stop flooding this feed from valuable content

#58     Jun 17, 2022
  9. Spikeet

Spikeet

analyzing the market doe snot require coding necessarily, I disagree on that.
    Can you go into deep more on your overfitting concerns ? intrigued to hear abt it

#59     Jun 17, 2022
  10. I wouldn't have bothered posting again, except you impugned by reputation and I'm afraid I take that kind of thing very seriously. I will take your lack of substantive response as an admission that you have no evidence at all and you admit you were wrong about what you said.

Fear not, I will spam no more. Let the 'valuable' content continue :)

GAT

#60     Jun 17, 2022
    apdxyk and virtusa like this.