How many monitors do you use while doing daytrading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mizhael, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Is there a reason why i should not just hook up through S-VIDEO and buy a 65 inch plasma and hook my comp up??

Also If my first question turns out idiotic since i am bad with comps, is there a way to buy 1 comp and have 8 monitors where each different set of 4 is like a seperate computer? BUT I CAN MOVE MY MOUSE/KEYBOARD BETWEEN ALL 8.

I.E. i have a seperate set of windows on each set of 4 monitors. Even though i have one comp.

I need the screen space but dont know what to do if money is not a problem.

Thx for the input.

#61     Feb 13, 2009
  2. you can run a one OS as host than a second OS through a VM. you will need lots of ram for that to run smoothly

#62     Feb 13, 2009
  3. The only thing this comp will be used for is trading. I am just tired of having 6 comps to run 8 screens, so i am willing to pay up, would ram still be a problem???

Also what does VM mean??

By the way, I need thing to be sperated as two different computers, that is a must.

#63     Feb 13, 2009
  4. If price is not a problem and i just want screen space why not hook up two 65" plasmas and just use that for screen space, am i losing something there???

I have looked at comps hooked up through plasmas and the picture quality still seems pretty good.

#64     Feb 13, 2009
  5. I think I've seen people at trade shows do this, LOL.

Try it out for a week and see how you like it. :)

#65     Feb 13, 2009
  6. try sitting 3 feet away from a 65" plasma for 8 hours and report back to us on how that works out.

You need two PCs ideally - or a workstation which will cost you thousands (maybe some will claim you can build for $250 but I doubt it). Google 'synergy' its the first company that comes up. They allow you to share a mouse and keyboard across multiple monitors on different CPUs.

#66     Feb 13, 2009
  7. If you have a DVI video card, you might be able to use this DVI to HDMI cord to hook one up. Then use windows to adjust the resolution to fit the screen. A 65" LCD rather than Plasma would probably be better.

http://www.amazon.com/DVI-HDMI-Cable-6ft-Male-Male/dp/B0002CZHN6

#67     Feb 13, 2009
  8. Just this week I scaled back to (1) 24" lcd for my trading (stocks). I used (3) monitors in the past and then went down to (2) and now I'm down to (1).

I just found it way too distracting trying to focus on everything that moves. So far I'm liking trading on my (1) screen set-up. I generally only trade the first half of the day though.

I guess there's a lot to be said for KISS... but I'm probably in the minority here. Lot's of monitors and charts make you feel important and cool (LOL) but I guess it all depends on what you are trading, etc.

Whatever works,

-Guru

P.S. I guess my next step is (1) 30" :)

#68     Feb 13, 2009