How many monitors do you use while doing daytrading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mizhael, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Mr J

Mr J

That's not keeping it simple unless you only have 1-2 things open. Three monitors is comfortable, it allows me to have everything open without overlapping, and keeps the 6-9 charts nice and large.

#51     Feb 12, 2009
  2. Tide31

Tide31

WOW. It must be like sitting in the space shuttle. I thought heated pool was a utility expense. I hope you are a K-1 somewhere so you can write off part of your electric bill.

:cool:

#52     Feb 12, 2009
  3. Tide31

Tide31

Dell just got in 100 (170 in inventory) refurbished 19" monitors to Outlet and dropped the price to $99. Same link as above. Maybe we can all go to 17!!!

:D :D :D

#53     Feb 12, 2009
  4. I have no doubt there is a "sitting in the space shuttle" appeal to multi-monitors (three or more) that we just love and have no interest in giving-up, even if we didn't need them.

FWIW, I stated my reasons for needing at least three monitors, and it's nice that there is at least some agreement amongst the other traders who are posting.

#54     Feb 12, 2009
  5. Tide31

Tide31

I admire guys that can follow 5+ screens, too distracting for me, but having tried different combo's over the years and I would say that 3 screens is the absolute minimum that you should be using. If not then you are probably going to be missing something in market, news, friends chatter, p&l etc... I bought 3 flat panel Princeton screens in 2004 (Dell used to use Princeton to get their screens and put Dell name on them) at a cost of $1600/each. Now 4 1/2 years later they are $99 each - same quality.

#55     Feb 12, 2009
  6. this make me LOL seriously :D honestly...you just need one monitor to trade successfully...why need more than 1?

#56     Feb 12, 2009
  7. mokwit

mokwit

5, one of which is a Radarscreen scan page - seriously would like to go to around 12 (4x3). i have thought of this a lot and a lot of it is about avoiding tunnel carpel syndrome from constant clicking.

Lower row of 4 would be charts - different charting programs/views in different monitors. Middle row is for "figures" ie tapereading stocks and market depth OR set up for futures if intraday trading - need MP going back several days for levels, DOM's charts etc. Top row of 4 is for Radarsceen + other scan pages - around 5000 symbols per box so need around 4 monitors.

I have often thought that being shortsighted I am handicapped in futures as I can't sit way back from the screen and look at multiple things at once at a critical juncture when speed of recation makes all the difference as does being able to assimilate multiple data and decide whether or not to trade.

#57     Feb 12, 2009
  8. Actually the electricity bill for the additional LCD monitors is not that high. They are quite energy efficient. The old CRTs eat more juice.

You know... if the old TV commercials by E-Trade or Ameritrade or whatever-trade would have you believe... to make millions and millions of dollars part-time, enough to buy an island... all you need is a 15-inch laptop to log on to their website and place orders with one chart on the screen.

Yeah, RIGHT!

If you can make millions and millions with a small laptop and a naked chart, you have my utmost admiration!

#58     Feb 13, 2009
  9. i've got 6 lcds here, i'll be posting an updated pic once i move in a few wks(gonna be sweeeeeeettttt):D

#59     Feb 13, 2009
  10. edil

edil

I use 2 monitors. A 19 inch on the left for the trading platform and a 22 inch on the right for the charts.

I used to have another 19 inch on the right of the 22 but after I moved from trading equities to futures, I found i did not need it so I got rid of it.
    I now use the empty space for my other glass paraphernalia. :D

#60     Feb 13, 2009