How many losses in a row?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by CheckM8t, May 5, 2011.

1. bone

bone

I so much appreciate doing something more constructive than getting ripped by trolls - so thanks for the welcome diversion.

Now, keep in mind that my answer is predicated on the fact that we are swing trading spreads - and this might or might not be the best answer for those trading a flat price futures contract. So,

1. We find that tightening up stops past 1:1 R/R usually invites getting taken out too early. Markets are always correcting and consolidating before they either continue their trend or fail off. The best approach IMHO for any trading style is to carefully consider your market's recent trading range - for example, the past 20 period ATR, before setting your stop. You want to avoid what has been "typical" market trading action taking you out of a trade that eventually performs.

2. Adding to winners is fine but adding to positions that are marking against you will eventually destroy you one day.

3. I personally will scale out of a winner that I have added to, but in terms of taking a loss I will vomit all at once if liquidity is there.

#41     Sep 29, 2014
    Visaria likes this.
  2. Then i suggest that you concede, before you move from sim to real $$$. Forget trading, a person requires the correct genetics to achieve competency when speculating, it's not 4 u.

Regards,

R. Bouye Phd

#42     Oct 1, 2014
  3. BAD DOCTOR!

September ended with a profit of 16%
    I was only right 33.33% of the time
    My profit factor was 3.76 to 1.
    I missed one trade due to a certain rule I have, which I back tested (with all the currencies I trade) and decided to remove that rule, although it rided me of some losses. The potential profits are worth the risks though.

Since you gave me horrible advice DOC, allow me to give you a good one.
    Do us all a favor on this site and return your PHD to whatever school you purchased it from, go home take a shower, lay on your couch, and sip on clorox. :cool:

#43     Oct 9, 2014
  4. seadog

seadog

Now that is funny.Very creative.

#44     Oct 9, 2014
  5. qxr1011

qxr1011

trader should take as many loses as it will take him to stop believing in trading method at hand

#45     Oct 15, 2014