How many IB TWS platforms you can open in one computer ?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by joesan, Jul 18, 2005.

1. joesan

joesan

I am mainly trading from IB account through IB Hong Kong server , butI also use another broker as a backup service.

I usually use two computers ( 4 screens) to trade, with FTTB & ADSL connection. But recently due to some bottleneck problems of local ISP, I can not connect to IB servers with those broadband connections.
    So I am actually connecting to IB using dialup service from another ISP and run the trading platform of above-mentioned backup broker with FTTB & ADSL connection. (BTW, as I only trade one symbol, I found the altogether volume of communication between IB server and my computer is about 6000-8000kb per day, or 4.5 trading hours, so I found the dialup connection can satisfy my need)

But recently the backup broker advised me they will also adopt IB TWS trading platform from August and it will use IB US server. So my question comes: Is it possible to run two TWS platforms in one computer (through dialup connection of course) ? And if it's possible, will this be stable ?

2. sprstpd

sprstpd

I have had no problems running 3 copies of IB's TWS on the same machine over the same connection.

3. alanm

alanm

Yes, you can run multiple TWS on one computer, as long as they are using separate login names/accounts (which it sounds like it will do). It seems, though, that if your purpose is to have the second account as a backup, you would need to find another (non-IB-IB) broker for it now.