How Many Hours Do You Sleep A Night?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Opulence, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Opulence

Opulence

I'm asking this question because now, I'm sleeping 8 hours a night. But I'm really thinking of cutting my sleep time to 4-5 hours so I can do more research, more analysis, studying, etc. But I don't want to lose my health in the process. I trade commodities and Forex, so the markets I trade in are usually open early (Forex being damn near 24 hours), but I'm not a day trader. I usually hold positions for a few days or even a week.

That being said, how many hours do you all sleep a night? If sleeping less, is the right thing to do, how do I make the transition without feeling hella tired?

2. Opulence

Opulence

To answer my own question, I just found this article on Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

It sounds pretty plausible. I've noticed myself using a similar method unconsciously in the past with success.

3. I can only sleep 3-4 hours during night. there are usually two hours awake time, when I just lie on the bed doing nothing. if i get up during between, i will be much more tired. but i need to have 1.5 hours nap at noon.

i only wish i can sleep as much as you do.

4. Depends how much I drink.

5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

7 hours and only a handful of times in the last decade did the stress of trading keep me awake... now the first 10 minutes after waking up is one of my most stressful moments of the day waiting for the iphone to refresh the futures prices.

6. I sleep six or seven hours on a typical night. I find I am more focused when I get the seven and most focused those times I get closer to eight. I think for most people more is better then less up to about eight or maybe nine hours.

7. If you are swing trading just stay in bed and relax for god's sake!! The more you analyze the more likely you are to doubt your original plan. So if you've been waiting for a sweet swing setup for 2 days and you take it and then read some fake planted news article that causes vol and scares you out of that position you just wasted a ton of time and you're tired to boot. I sleep 8 hours. I used to sleep 9-10 but kids messed that up :mad:

8. For instant gratification :)eek: )try Bloomberg TV. Futures are on the screen 24/7, including during commercials. I usually check prices before I even get out of bed.

To the original question, I usually get about 5-7 hours. It's not for lack of tiredness or worrying too much ... basically noise is the culprit. Airplanes, sirens, ... gunfire (ok, not so much the latter). I definitely notice I trade better the more sleep I've gotten.

9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I check on the iPhone. It's always a stressful time in the morning. And in 10+ years there have only been a handful of times I've woken up to an unpleasant surprise.

More sleep is better. It's more valuable to be more efficient during the day then working longer.

10. I spent about 2 years running on 4-5 hours of sleep 5 days a week And then 2 days of 6-7 hour "sleeping in". Lol I loved it. I got off work at 12 during the week then was up till 2 before hitting the hay then would be up for class between 6-7. On the weekends I would be up till about 3-5 am lol then sleep till noon.

I can honestly say I had more energy at all times on that sleep schedule than I ever have. Now I have a baby and I actually sleep more now, but I feel like I have less focus. I don't think im very normal in that respect lol

#10     Oct 15, 2012