How many have had this happen?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by gordo, Nov 25, 2005.

1. gordo

gordo

Sure this has been covered here before. But wanted to get some feedback. I know that alot of investment and trading types don't make it a point to openly advertise what they do for a living, except within the investment community. Particularily when it comes to more private speculative transactions.

Just wondering how many of you have experienced a noticable change in the way people interact with you when they find out that you handle investments or speculate. IE- I'm generally a little vague about what I do, b/c pursuing my independant ventures. If I have to, I tell people that I work with/for some investors, and try not to get into specifics. Unless it's business critical.

What I have found to often be the case, is they either think that you can help them get rich, or they seem a little intimidated. This can throw a wrench in things for a low key guy like myself. Especially, when trying to meet people for personal reasons. How do you guys handle it? Any thoughts?

Gordo

2. I tell people that I am an Analyst or a Investment Manager. You don't have to say that you are a daytrader, because people still think all day daytraders blew up in Mid 2000.
    After all, as a Trader, we do analyze stocks, and we do manage investments.

3. tomcole

tomcole

Be honest about what you do, or they'll think you're some sort of mobster or drug dealer.

4. gordo

gordo

Yeh, that's the other problem. If you don't give them some background, they think that you into something shady.

I try to tell them just enough to show them that I am legitimate, but not so much that they think they can pilfer info.

Gordo

5. Ebo

Ebo

I usually just tell my nosy relatives I work for Vandelay Industries.

6. Dogfish

Dogfish

Ridicule yourself a little, tell them you're a professional market gambler, a have a go hero, with a wink.

Then they say, "well I'm sure there's more to it than that seeing as you've been doing it for x years and seem to be doing very well for yourself" They'll be impressed with the modesty and self deprecation.

7. jim c

jim c

I think being a little vague adds to the problem of people thinking your can make them rich. I think it just makes them more curious. "hey, if this guy doesnt want to talk about what he does...it must be something cool/lucrative." I personally try to explain it in layman terms as short as possible and I try to sound as dumb as possible. (not to hard for me..hehe) When I tell people I work at the CBOT there are always alot of assumptions being made...and not all of them good...as you can imagine. I also say..."people always assume that since i work at the CBOT that I make alot of money...and thats just not true" I think people can be intimidated...i used to be....so i try to make myself seem just like an average joe as much as possible. which in fact I really am. Just my thoughts on the subject..boy are we slow today. have agood weekend. Jim

8. "I develop and implement equity and derivative systems"

9. dac8555

dac8555

Modesty is always the best policy if you are trying to either avoid a conversation or attract funds.

I have a full time job (which is hard enough to explain). I have narrowed it down to "I run the wholesale bond market"...which i do, for my piss ant little country.

in regards to my trading account i simply say "i also have a small private fund that i manage for a few select people". That will either get them talking if they want to make $$, or shut them up if they feel inferior. that line also works for the ladies....

:cool:

10. i say i'm a assisant junior vp of steeldust derivatives group. they will either smile and run away or ask what the hell is that. i used to say" me a trader" but the result usually was arguments about being a gambler or how i personally am ruining the economy.
    the great thing about being an assistant junior vp is if you see them agian you can give yourself a promotion! i try and not be to serious though.
    :D

#10     Nov 25, 2005