How many e-mini contracts do you trade?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by jboydston, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Whamo

Whamo

If someone is holding 500 NQ Contracts they would have to have 6 hands to do it in my opinion. One pair to hold all those contracts, one pair on the keyboard at all times, and one pair to hold their private parts because they would have to have some big kahuna's...

Whamo

#31     Aug 22, 2002
  2. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

We are working with elocaltrading.

Brandon

#32     Aug 27, 2002
  3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

It is really just a matter of scale. When you have $50,000 then holding 1 emini is nothing, holding 5 is probably just about right, holding 10 is purhaps starting to press it a bit and so on. If you have $5,000,000 then holding 500 Emini's would not be just about right, though at that point you might be better off in the pit (at least with the S&P)

Brandon

#33     Aug 27, 2002
  4. lundy

lundy

I only got 2 hands, and I've held over 500 NQ contracts. I think it was around 600.

It's really just a matter of time frame, thats all. The more you hold, the more you are affected by liquidity, the longer it takes to put on a position and take it off. Slippage is in direct proportion to position, liquidity, and time frame.

#34     Aug 27, 2002
  5. Relative to how much capital you are trading; still only takes one finger to click the mouse ...

#35     Aug 27, 2002
  6. I am getting closer to trading in larger blocks. lundy, how long does it take to get in and out of 50 lots, say in mid day?

#36     Aug 28, 2002
  7. Spark

Spark

i don't recommend more than 1 emini sp500 contract for new trader.

#37     Aug 28, 2002
  8. lundy

lundy

Saratoga,

50 NQ contracts, I could get out in a second using a market order with minimal slippage.

I never use market orders though, except stops.

I use limit orders, I buy at the bid, and sell at the ask.

If you watch IB's depth screen, you can see how easy it is to get in and out. I don't use IB anymore, and I also don't trade 500 lots anymore.

#38     Aug 28, 2002
  9. As fast as you can click ...

#39     Aug 28, 2002
  10. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

You should not have any problem with 50's. Even in the afternoon with the Nasdaq we are able to get in using limits at the price we want at that size, usually all at the same price.

Brandon

#40     Aug 28, 2002