How many e-mini contracts do you trade?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by jboydston, Aug 21, 2002.

1. I am doing quite well trading the ES. I only trade 5 at a time, but I plan on doing more in the near future as I am averaging over 10 points a day. Today I nailed almost 30.

These are my questions:

What is the total amount you can hold at one time? Is it 250?

For those of you like Brandon and E320 that trade in size, are you only using limits to buy in? If not, do you still get fills almost instantaneously with market orders?

Thanks.

#21     Aug 22, 2002
  2. How many round turns are you making, or what is your hold time?

#22     Aug 22, 2002
  3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I do not execute my own orders, we have an order clerk that does it. But I do know we never use market orders..its too easy to get whacked. Using limit orders we almost always get what we want where we want it.

Brandon

#23     Aug 22, 2002
  4. Thanks. Hope you are doing well.

#24     Aug 22, 2002
  5. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Im happy overall. I tend to do badly when the market is near tops and bottoms and trends are changing..so while others really like it and are making money, I have just settle with being happy for them. Currently I'm down about 10% since the beginning of July, but the last few days have been better so we will see what comes about.

Brandon

#25     Aug 22, 2002
  6. -trading 100+ contracts-

may I ask you, what brokers are you working with?

#26     Aug 22, 2002
  7. i trade between 2-5 contracts depending upon my guesstimate of how strong i feel my chances of success are.

#27     Aug 22, 2002
  8. I realize my approach is "boring", but I trade/value ES and NQ as if they were stocks. I look at the contract value and volatility and trade if it fits within my risk parameters. I never use the margin value for anything.

#28     Aug 22, 2002
  9. lundy

lundy

it's possible to hold over 500 NQ's.

#29     Aug 22, 2002
  10. Making money is never boring.

#30     Aug 22, 2002