how many different symbols to trade dow jones index? indu,ym,dd. what r differences?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by johnpalley, Nov 3, 2009.

1. thanks trading_time!, i got a couple questions. im lookin at the ym right now and the value doesnt match the value of the dow jones stock market? why is that? the ym right now is at 9872 and the dow jones is at 9914.

what is the $10 futures symbol for the dow? the only other symbol i know of is indu and that $25 a point but it looks like it doesnt trade during the day when the dow is open? someone told me it was zd but when i type in zd at interactive brokers nothing shows up?

and also just so you guys know im not gonna be getting in and out of these futures quickly, im gonna be making long term buys and sells.

#11     Nov 4, 2009
  2. rcj

rcj

ck out the term "Fair Value" re difference between dow and ym.

#12     Nov 4, 2009
  3. thanks rcj, what is the $10 futures symbol for the dow? the only other symbol i know of is indu and thats $25 a point but it looks like it doesnt trade during the day when the dow is open? someone told me it was zd but when i type in zd at interactive brokers nothing shows up?

#13     Nov 4, 2009
  4. auspiv

auspiv

for the 5th fucking time, TRADE THE YM. stop thinking about the others right now.

if you're so worried about how much you're gonna make, you can just trade more than one contract at a time.

ex: buy one ym at 9000, then sell one ym at 9100. (9100-9000)*5 = $500.

ex 2: buy 10 ym at 9000, then sell 10 ym at 9100. (9100-9000)*5*10 = $5000

#14     Nov 4, 2009
  5. auspiv, dont worry about the stradegy im using! thats none of your business. im trying to find out some information. if you dont want to give me the info than dont post in this thread. i never asked anyone in this thread which one do you think i should trade. i asked what are the differences.

#15     Nov 4, 2009
  6. There's no difference in any of them. They're just different ways for Goldman to scam you.

#16     Nov 4, 2009
  7. lol!, for real. how come i cant find the $10 one? can someone please give me some info on this please?

#17     Nov 4, 2009
  8. auspiv

auspiv

differences:

ym - very liquid, tight bid/ask spread
    dd - not liquid at all, pit/electronically traded, wider spread
    indu - the actual index, you can't even trade it

#18     Nov 4, 2009
  9. if i cant trade indu than why does it show bids and asks in the night time? it looks and moves around like any other futeres.

what is the $10 symbol? i cant find it

#19     Nov 4, 2009
  10. rcj

rcj

JP ...

on a TWS ticker page enter indu, select futures, then select
    dec contract. 2 choices will show...take either one.

right now im getting 151 contracts traded.

#20     Nov 4, 2009