How many charts do successful traders use per symbol??

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Rashid_G., Oct 19, 2011.

How many time frame charts do you use per market?

1. 1

17 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. 2

24 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. 4

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. 5

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Other

17 vote(s)
    23.9%
  1. meet the new boss, same as the old boss

#41     Oct 22, 2011
  2. I can perfectly predict markets for the next 10 seconds when some of my setups show on the DOM.

That's my edge, that's how I trade. I don't have any charts up. Only my DOM with a T&S next to it.

#42     Oct 23, 2011
  3. X-trader, because I need the market depth on the DOM and I need the EPIQ functionality.

Liquid markets works best because they move slower and are bigger like ZN, ES, FESX.

#43     Oct 23, 2011
  4. As many as I need.

Know the recent average range and what to expect on any given day assuming an average day, less than average, beyond average. Never be surprised.

I find that the high/low from days way back acts as fairly accurate S/R, often to the tick.

If we now start moving outside this recent range, more history is needed and higher time frames may be more relevant. If we reverse from here, the last week`s range is the immediate reference. Makes sense?

Remember, if you want to capture the larger intraday swings, you need to let go of the small winners and accept that the trade will retrace. I often get stopped out for a tick or B/E on trades that are initially 2-3 points in the green when I`m looking for a 5-10 point swing, but I never let it turn into a loser. That said, I try not to be stubborn and take what the market offers when I realize it is less than what I was expecting.

Know what is normal and what is expected in terms of adverse movement and trade accordingly.

A larger swing is usually made up of several smaller swings. Decide which part you want to play.

As always, one should assume that most guys posting on this forum is full of shit and that includes me. Do your own studies and make your own conclusions. :)

#44     Oct 23, 2011
  5. cornix

cornix

Definitely agree. Previous days H/L (also opening and close/settlement prints in some markets) as well as swing highs/lows of time frames above 1H are very important for a day trader.

#45     Oct 23, 2011
  6. pbylina

pbylina

I would use a 4hr for the whole picture and a small tick chart for the now picture.

#46     Dec 8, 2011
  7. One "chart" for the trade I have on, but many other indicators such as:

2 trading windows, one for the stock, one for the options
    At least dozen other charts (potential other trades, spot trend changes)
    Charts include:
    Dollar charts (DXY, UUP)
    Interest rate charts ($TNX, TBT)
    Gold chart (GLD)
    SPY, AAPL, AMZN, FCX, XOM, CAT, IBM, MMM, FDX, FCX, X, JPM
    2 watch lists
    News scrolls
    T.V. news
    Research ideas ... Yada, yada, yada

It does change, but those are the staples. Hey, it works for me.
    But obviously there are a ton of different ways to trade.

The real test is when it goes against you. Bag it ? Average in ?
    That'll put some fur on the old peaches :D

#47     Dec 8, 2011
  8. Trader22

Trader22

I have 6 timeframe charts open at all times for what I'm trading and will even look at 7 or 8. Its the only way to do it imo. You need the full story of whats going on

#48     Nov 29, 2015