How low can the dollar go?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Blue_Bull, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Wow, now I know we're in for a hellish era. People are panning for gold again. Wow, just wow! This anecdote takes the cake!

#31     Dec 2, 2009
  2. This summer when i was going every week to go panning, about 50% of the time I would run into other panners. One time I went looking for a river that was in the middle of nowhere and and i ran into two guys looking for gold with a metal detector.

Theres alot more people than you think out there that pan for gold. ALOT more than you think.

#32     Dec 2, 2009
  3. Sure, come puppy, right on your forehead...

And also:

Now, if you can just understand what others write, it would be obvious for you that phatlosz wants to get prepared for inflation/hyperinflation by earning money in a foreign currency. So the question is about present times. I answered one should be prepared and get educated about a foreign currency and understand the risks and costs involved, before investing in it. (Aka. the risks would eat away any difference of a small amount, like a salary.) So I was being helpful, a shame that a monkey starts jumping and screaming at something it doesn’t understand.

Let me rephrase so even you monkey understand it: “The claim that for a Hungarian a dime a day in 1945/46 would be a great deal is so funny, that I don't even begin where to start...” At that time (pharosz I hope you’re reading this) the Forint was not used for transactions. There were food stamps. IOUs. Credit. Barter. In other words, money itself was inflated but a loaf of bread was a loaf of bread, didn’t all of a sudden worth two loafs’ worth of eggs, for example. And right after WWII and during soviet occupation people didn’t much care for inflation. They were trying to rebuild (literally) what’s been left of the cities. That’s the context. If either one of you expects that to happen in the US in the foreseeable future, act on it. Just don’t expect to be respected for your wise presciences. That was one point.

The other point (why I wrote all that about the current state of Hungary) is that despite hyperinflation, 50 years after the forint is a much more stable currency than the dollar. (Add 45 years of Communism in there as well.) The deutschmark (and its manifestation in the euro today) is a much more stable currency than the dollar. Much, much better preservers of current wealth.

If you are only interested in a dick-measuring contest about Hungary’s hyperinflation, I can school you, because from that small snippet of a post is obvious you have no idea about neither the context nor the procession of it.

Yes, it's unbelievable what you would post. You're the one shooting from the hip, without even understanding what I posted.

Your question isn’t misunderstood. It’s still funny. I might not sugarcoat it, but there’s actually a lot of help in my posts. You just have to be willing to learn.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing_power_parity

#33     Dec 3, 2009
  4. then the stock markt goes to the moon

#34     Dec 3, 2009