How long will the markets ignore oil?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by reno4nook, Jan 30, 2006.

1. toc

toc

Also by 2030, 30% of US oil will be based on Ethenol coming from bio sources like corn, tree bark etc. So if some tech breakthrough comes along that speeds up the Ethenol process and makes it more cheap, then gasoline will become nonplayer in the markets.

#11     Jan 30, 2006
  2. achilles28

achilles28

To be honest, I don't know.

But rates are more important than oil. With high oil and low rates, you'd still experience robust growth.

Now, with high oil and high rates, you've got a problem.

Right now, we're at the mid point. Rates are going up and the fed is going to pop this bubble its made - just like it always does.

The real inflationary problem was the low rates (or huge money supply), starting in 2001-2002. High energy costs just added fuel to the fire (excuse the pun).

What can the Fed do now? Validate this near-rampant, double whammy inflation (money supply and energy) with lower rates and vaporize what little savings the American public has?

The Feds only got one way to move. Up.

#12     Jan 30, 2006
  3. how do you figure the market is ignoring oil?

#14     Jan 30, 2006
  4. if you want an Ethanol pure play... PEIX; take a look at the Cascade investment (aka Bill Gates)

FD: I'm long from $9

#15     Jan 30, 2006
  5. if you think he is confused check out his results each of the prior 5 years... you may be the one who is confused.

#16     Jan 30, 2006
  6. hajimow

hajimow

#17     Jan 30, 2006
  7. hans37

hans37

shhhh! I 'm not short yet.

#18     Jan 31, 2006
  8. Oil only accts for 2% of the US economy, compared with 8% during 1970s.
    Oil has had a positive correlation with the economy and stock market in the past few years.
    Nothing to worry about :-I.

#19     Jan 31, 2006
  9. As another said, why do you think the market is ignoring oil? Because it doesn't move in the opposite direction of the price of oil? That means nothing. There are a lot of reasons why the market should go higher. With a few notable exceptions, corporate earnings have exceeded expectations or been in line; few have missed. The slower growth in Q4 probably points to the end of constant interest rate increases by the Fed, so one less reason for money to move elsewhere. Housing and employment continue to defy the doomsdayers, showing recession is not just around the corner.

With these positive items, it may be that oil is being a drag on the market. Perhaps we'd be well over 1300 S&P500 now if oil were $60 a barrell.

NDG

#20     Jan 31, 2006