How long will it take to turn a $5,000 account into $100,000?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by guy2, Nov 25, 2004.

1. guy2

guy2

spike500: what instrument(s) do you trade? and are you a day/swing/scalp/combo trader?

#151     Mar 29, 2005
  2. daytrading ES, trendfollower

#152     Mar 29, 2005
  3. guy2

guy2

I'm guessing (from what you've said) that your win/loss ratio is low but your winners are big. You probably have a lot of trades that lose a little or make a little or scratch and then very few of the big runs - but when you hit them they're big.

May I ask, what is your average hold time for your winning trades (or at least those that make more than 3 ES points)?

#153     Mar 30, 2005
  4. My win/loss ratio never was low, but when i lost , i really lost.
    But that's over since 1994 ( after a huge loss). I now respect my stoploss .
    At least 85% of my trades are profitable.
    Average hold time depends on the trend. If there is a move of 3 hours i stay in three hours, if the move is from opening till close, then i stay in from opening till close. I normally do 1-3 trades a day. I think (but i never calculated ) my average profit per trade is between 3 and 4 points.

From all the profits i make i give back between 10 and 15%. My stoploss is always at 2 points.

#154     Mar 30, 2005
  5. My worst loss was $4000 trading Globex EUR.The money didn't seem real at the time.(Maybe they'll give it back if I ask nicely)

#155     Mar 30, 2005
  6. guy2

guy2

Interesting that you can't calculate your average profit. It would drive me nuts if I couldn't do that. I have all my trades in an Excel spreadsheet and you can get the average profit in 5 seconds - and tons of other stats - like average time in trades that were more profitable than 3 points - and stuff like that - really quickly and easily with a couple of clicks.

#156     Mar 30, 2005
  7. I didn't say i can't calculate it, i never did it because i don't care.
    I know my system works well, and don't count anymore every day how much i made. I've done that for years, now i turn on my computer when the markets open, i trade and after the closing i close my tradestation.
    But if you feel the need to calculate, you can calculate 24 hours a day. You can even calculate how rich you can become if you are able to fine tune your system by 0.25 points each trade.

It's like driving a Ferrari. When you buy him you get up at night to go watch your beautiful car. You know exactly the top speed, the horsepower etc etc... You get exited each time you drive it.
    But after 5 years, your Ferrari is just a Ferrari, a car to drive. No exitement anymore.

BTW how long you stay in a trade has no statistical use. The trend defines how long i stay in or get out.

#157     Mar 30, 2005
  8. M Vega

M Vega

Just take one big gamble instead of trading for years... because otherwise if you trade properly it would take years before you have $100.000,-.

#158     Mar 30, 2005
  9. For some this is true, for others not.

I have a friend who is training to ride on a bike 70 miles with an average speed of 15 miles an hour. After years of training he concluded that it is impossible.
    You know why? Because HE can't. Does that mean it's impossible?

#159     Mar 30, 2005
  10. Comparitively speaking

a flea can jump farther than any human

an ant is stronger than any human

Should I set my goals reachable? (or should I try to evolve)

#160     Mar 30, 2005