How long is your holding time of individual options-trade ?

Discussion in 'Options' started by OddTrader, Nov 3, 2010.

1. When to exit a trade has fascinated me since I read the book It's When You Sell That Counts by Donald Cassidy. I have the first edition published in 1994. I notice it is now in its third edition. It not only fascinates me but challenges me as well.

#11     Nov 4, 2010
  2. chartman

chartman

The NASSA is an organization for the state regulatory agencies that enforces the state's laws and regulations concerning the registration of securities and people such as brokers and advisors involved in the securites industry within their state. They are not a 'consumer' protection agency as such except in their role as a regulatory agency. They have no authority in the regulation of the commodities futures market.

#12     Nov 4, 2010
  3. Shit happens in the market so all of this is babble. Stats are irrelevant when price is moving now or later.

#13     Nov 4, 2010
  4. It so depends on the type of trading. I trade options that are a close to expiry to gain the rapid lossof time premiun in those last few days. I write options and then if the stock move with me or stays put, I'm up the premium. If it move aganst me I get the stock (long or short) and then usually just write options against it or sell/cover the shares. So for me, I hardly ever hold ptions more that a week... some trades I go a month.

#14     Nov 4, 2010
  5. thenmmm

thenmmm

usually a few days - taking advantage of theta...

#15     Nov 8, 2010
  6. Unless you state a specific type of trade, the question is meaningless.

A trade for a scalp can never have a holding period similar to that of an iron condor.

Mark

#16     Nov 8, 2010
  7. When selling options (during periods of mid to high volatility) the average time held is 45 days. When buying options (during periods of low volatility) the holding time is substantially longer. I want to diminish time decay and have plenty of time for something unexpected to drive up volatility, so I buy options atleast 6 months out and hold them. They cost more, but the resistance to theta is worth it.

This is fairly basic, but as an options trader I find myself trading volatility rather than price. It took me a while to learn that...

#17     Nov 8, 2010
  8. Outstanding comprehension, truly meaningful indeed!

#18     Nov 8, 2010
  9. rew

rew

True. I've held leaps for over a year, and I've done one day scalp trades. My credit spreads are usually held (short) for 3 - 6 weeks.

#19     Nov 9, 2010
  10. Day trade ES options - usually a couple hours to be proven right or wrong.

Swings in ETF options are typically 1-2 weeks going into expiration. 99% of those are naked sales.

Where do I pick up my free toaster now?

#20     Nov 9, 2010