How long have you been in the market?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 0008, Nov 15, 2002.

1. I too think you should not give up so easily. I think your posts have been as legitimate as anybody else's. No reason to quit posting because of some unhappy individual.

#21     Nov 15, 2002
  2. Seriously, do you still have all those emotions? How can you trade?

With me, it is pretty obvious that the amount of emotion directly affects the profitability of my trades. I gave away $.38 on ISLE this morning before the market opened due to a typo. It took me the whole day to psychologically recover from that idiotic slip.

But at least it only took me a day. When I started out, such an experience would throw me back several weeks...

#22     Nov 15, 2002
  3. Sure, I second Wally's request. I stuck with a MA x-over and added standard error bands (similar to BB's) because of Cathy's posts. I'll even admit to losing a quarter of what she has in trading tuition. However, I wouldn't know Don Miller unless he walked up and introduced himself. Oh, Yes, Cathy please reconsider, I've enjoyed reading your posts and hearing you describe your trading.

Bruce:D

#23     Nov 15, 2002
  4. Aaron

Aaron

The only way I can trade is 100% systematically. When I've tried discretionary trading the emotional rollercoaster was just too unbearable. With a system I can console myself with the long term statistics.

#24     Nov 15, 2002
  5. Aaron

Aaron

Alright. That's it! You're on my ignore list!....kidding.

#25     Nov 15, 2002
  6. mark1

mark1 Guest

ah ah..... :(

#26     Nov 16, 2002
  7. BobCathy,

Part of the ET experience is getting pushed to the brink of leaving, then coming, then leaving, then coming -- until your skin grows so thick you could give two shits what the next guy thinks/says/posts about you.

#27     Nov 16, 2002
  8. I hear you! I developed a system for the same reason. But once I started making consistent money I became more confident and started playing around with stocks, and it turns out I can make more with less risk by discretionarily trading stocks than with my ES system. But it only works if I sufficiently detach myself emotionally, plus it has to be nice and quiet and nothing else must be bothering me. But I have now reached the stage where I just don't trade whenever I feel I'm not balanced enough to do it.

You should see the correlation between the number of trades I make per day with the amount of noise the construction workers next door produce that day! I think I will calculate how much it would cost me to buy a home with no neighbors and a high speed internet connection, estimate how long the construction next door will go on and how much on average it costs me per day and then make a decision based on the bottom line.

#28     Nov 16, 2002
  9. chisel

chisel

Try some foam earplugs. :D

#29     Nov 16, 2002
  10. I became a broker with Refco, after geting a series 7 I realized I was just a notch lower than lawyers. Traded my own funds ever since and spent some years as a local in Chicago at the Board of Trade (circa 1988-89).

#30     Nov 16, 2002