How long does it take you to double your futures account balance as a day trader / scalper?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by _eug_, May 23, 2020.

1. Yes, he reads the DOM manually but I have no idea how that works as the DOM never made sense to me. He does say NQ DOM is thin and almost like some dumb penny stocks at times. Yes to fast tick charts also. He uses 15min for bigger context, sub 1min charts for rhythm and 3 different tick charts for more context, price action, momentum but focuses on the fastest chart before entering a trade. DOM is the last piece.

#21     May 24, 2020
    _eug_ likes this.
  2. hafez50

hafez50

I've done well threw all mkt for decades but Volatile times like March and 2008 and 2000-2002 were special times . Thats a lot of roundtrips a day. I don't like to trade that much . 99% of traders will fail trading that much . It looks fun and exciting but commissions and slippage will kill you .

#22     May 24, 2020
    yc47ib likes this.
  3. Nor do I, I'm just saying it's not the volatility that keeps certain scalpers in business. Not everyone requires special type of market environment to succeed. I personally can't do it and find it painful to try, but just respecting other's methods to those who can do it.

#23     May 24, 2020
  4. hafez50

hafez50

No i 100% agree . But to be able to trade 100 r/t's a day yr in yr out considering most of the times mkts hardly moving thats incredible and hats off to him . But thats like saying theres 236 basketball players in the Nba . There's unicorns in every occupation and to be able to beat the algo's on such a time frame is amazing.

#24     May 24, 2020
    FuturesGosu likes this.
  5. virtusa

virtusa

Your objective, and the way to go are two different and not related things.

It is not because you want to be ambitious that you will fail. If you fail it is because the method you use to increase your knowledge is wrong.
    Whether you want to double your account as fast as possible or not has no impact on the needed increase of your knowledge. Because that would mean that aiming low would increase your profits, while aiming high would reduce your profits. Not the aiming is important but the actions to increase your knowledge is responsible for your trading results.

#25     May 24, 2020
  6. FTDK

FTDK

It means you are in the wrong place mentally.

Such high risk strategies never last.

Prove me otherwise.

#26     May 24, 2020
  7. Well he trades outside of RTH as well if that helps in making sense for 100 trades per day lol.

#27     May 24, 2020
  8. virtusa

virtusa

You don't understand what I mean. I spoke about knowledge.

A stupid trader will indeed take huge risks and fail.He will be in the wrong place mentally.

A smart trader, who also wants to double fast, will first study the market to see what he can realistically make. He will check needed capital, what leverage, which product, where to put stops,where to take profit, check drawdown.... He will probably not make (at that moment) the return he wants, but he will try to improve his trading till he can reach his ultimate goal. But maybe he will never reach that goal.

So what I say is that making a statement "wanting to double" has no impact on his performance; the way he will handle his trading will.
    "Wanting to double" is just a statement and tells nothing about how he will try to achieve that.

#28     May 24, 2020
  9. FTDK

FTDK

Then the smart trader isn't talking about doubling his account as fast as possible anymore ... Well actually he is, but in a realistic way, that can take months or years.

My post is clearly directed to traders who are taking way to much risk and try double their account in a matter of weeks.

#29     May 24, 2020
  10. virtusa

virtusa

So in fact we both say the same thing.

This is what you posted and on which posting I reacted:
    Anyway, if your objective is doubling your account as fast as possible you are never going to succeed since that is the wrong way to go at it in the first place.

For me both traders have the same objective. If one fails it is not because he has that objective, but because he is stupid (has not the needed knowledge), and/or uses a wrong approach to reach his objective. Objective does not mean that they will reach it.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    #30     May 24, 2020