how long does it take to become consistent

Discussion in 'Trading' started by samir84, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Surdo

Surdo

What a Mook.

#11     Jun 16, 2010
  2. Hey Jackass:

Think about this before you write bullshit: a consistent winner needs a stream of consistent losers. So for a finite number of winners, you need an infinite number of losers to pay them. What is wrong with this?

Give me half of the money you will lose, and I can teach you how to put things on your side. Are you a taker?

#12     Jun 16, 2010
  3. NoDoji

NoDoji

If by "consistent", you mean something resembling a predictable day-to-day P/L, I have but this to say:

"Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!"

:D

#13     Jun 17, 2010
  4. first you need to qualify this. Most of the evidence and the commonly held beliefs are that over 90% of people who try trading will never make a profit.

second, for those who DO "become consistent" many of them seem to have a blowup or two eventually.

third, some traders put in a few hours here and there, and others glue to their screen for many 1,000s of hours. I think NoDoji said she put in a huge amount of time. So looking for "how long" should probably be replaced with "how many direct hours of effort" does it take to become consistent

It is an unfortunate choice for a title. For the majority, the answer is probably "infinite." :cool:

#14     Jun 17, 2010
  5. Mercor

Mercor

how long does it take to become consistent ?

..Try more fiber

#15     Jun 17, 2010
  6. NoDoji

NoDoji

Yes, much better question. I've nearly 7000 hours into my 2 years, 4 months of trading.

#16     Jun 17, 2010
  7. Religion is like investing in Lottery. Science is like investing in Stock Market

#17     Jun 17, 2010
  8. mayhem28

mayhem28

10,000 hours of screen time.

#18     Jun 20, 2010
  9. ammo

ammo

if you have the discipline to sit on your hands and not trade until you see a setup with whatever edge you have discovered,recognize and get out when your wrong,recognize and hold when your right,it could be immediately,that might only be 3 trades a week but if you sat on your hands and didnt trade all the losers, it adds up,if you can do that and stay in business,your arsenal of edges and your acct will increase quickly

#19     Jun 20, 2010
  10. gaj

gaj

i finally felt sure i could succeed after a little more than 5 years of full time trading. had done part-time before that.

in my first 5 years, one year was negative (would be positive now, since trading fees have dropped considerably). but i wasn't making enough to justify the risk of working on my own.

i've had zero blowups. had several times where, if i hadn't taken big losses, i would have blown up.

#20     Jun 20, 2010