How long does AVG take to scan?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by dtrader98, Dec 10, 2008.

1. When I first installed the link scanner edition, it was literally taking up to minutes to complete loading a google search web page on firefox. It was quite clearly from the software as I could see each link slowly loading an icon indicating whether it was acceptable to AvG. They may have changed this based on complaints; I wouldn't know as I disabled that feature promptly and was back to my expected speed of down/uploading.

It's possible that your scan only takes 20min since you are only using 7G occupied; when I mentioned 80G+ drives, they are up to 90%+ capacity (at least the primary is). Those camtasia files hoard an awful lot of space (One of these days I will just send them to dvds for archival storage as they are cheap). I think when my hdd was that low on occupied space, AVG was a lot faster, so my guess is the dramatic time increase is indirectly proportional to % of drive occupied and files to scan.

Haven't tried the OPs suggestion yet, but will sometime.

#11     Dec 23, 2008
  2. it took a little over 30 min to scan about 75gb worth on my computer. i'm running avg 8.x.

yours seems really slow.

#12     Dec 28, 2008
  3. scan time shouldn't be related to % of drive occupied. it should be based on cpu speed, hdd speed, file fragmentation, and perhaps the types of files. maybe you should defrag your drive.

#13     Dec 28, 2008
  4. Not sure I agree with that. By your logic, the scan time should not have changed at all from the time my drive was 1% occupied and 90+% (which it drastically has), because I know for sure that my CPU and hdd speed have not changed much. And regarding defrag, here's a quote from the very 1st post:

#14     Dec 30, 2008