how long did you take to have a profitable year?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by chonkore, Feb 13, 2007.

how long did you take to have a profitable year?

1. 1

41 vote(s)
    31.5%
  2. 2

17 vote(s)
    13.1%
  3. 3

20 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. 4

15 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. more than 5+ or give up

37 vote(s)
    28.5%
  1. jeez, that must take some determination to lose money 5 yrs in a row

#31     Feb 15, 2007
  2. Given that you are a trader MM are you really satisfied with the quality of the answer you have just offered?

What you have just said is that you have made a little money on day 1 and now you cannot trade for another 364 days.

Did you seriously read the question to mean this?

#32     Feb 15, 2007
  3. minmike

minmike

Are you really satisfied with this statement f9? If I trade profitably for 364 days, could I reasonable assume that I won't lose it all one the last day. Isn't my profitable year assured before the 365 days are complete?

This satement and the earlier one are the two extremes. I used the other one to prove my point.

As a trader I would be more worried about being profitable than playing semantics.

#33     Feb 15, 2007
  4. minmike

minmike

If you need to wait to the last day to determine if the year would be "profitable" or not, I don't think that I would consider that profitable anyways.

#34     Feb 15, 2007
  5. Joab

Joab

Same determination it takes to pay 100k for a 7 yr. University Masters Degree.

Do you think it's any different?

Parlour trick trading, will only take u so far but dont worry the prop shop should make a pretty penny off you before you figure it out.

#35     Feb 15, 2007
  6. pamjoey

pamjoey

Hello,
    I am a newby here, and I am just starting my 2nd year of trading. I am not profitable, yet. But, I think and hope I will be in about 3 or 4 months.
    I would agree with the person who said it costs about 100K for a 7 year professional degree. Getting paid, usually wont happen quick, and you will have to spend alot of time and money to make anything work.
    I have been self employed for 21 years, and I remember the first few years, it was pretty rough, difficult, sickening, at times. It did finally pay off, but as a good friend mine once said "IF IT WAS EASY EVERYONE WOULD BE DOING IT.
    I believe you can accomplish anything, if you put your mind to it.
    joey

#36     Feb 19, 2007
  7. Wow, pamjoey... that was a positive post! Are you sure you are posting on the right forum?

It looks to me like people have more fun splitting hairs over how many days in a year it takes to become positive, cashflow wise and flaming on others over luck vs. skill...

I too am a newbie. I want to learn more about what is going on with trading (futures in particular) and was referred to this site from a well acomplished scalper.

I intend on mock-trading for a good solid year before I "go live" and even then, only with 5-10k that I could afford to lose (if such a thing really exists)

If I can bring anything to the table at this point, it is this:

"Remember that fighting on the internet is a lot like competing in the special olympics... even if you win, you are still a retard."

#37     Feb 19, 2007
  8. The question needs to be reworded to:

" how long did you take to have a profitable year that wasnt based on luck? "

Then my answer would be 4.
    Otherwise, its 1.

#38     Feb 19, 2007
  9. pamjoey

pamjoey

Hi Desert,
    Thanks for the input. Trading for a year is a good idea. I didnt wait quite that long, placed my first trade about 8 months, after studying and learning all I could for about 9 hours a day.
    I believe it can be done, but you have to be real CAREFUL in the beginning. Hope it works out for you.
    joey

#39     Feb 19, 2007
  10. amen to that!

#40     Aug 6, 2007