how long did you take to have a profitable year?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by chonkore, Feb 13, 2007.

how long did you take to have a profitable year?

1. 1

41 vote(s)
    31.5%
  2. 2

17 vote(s)
    13.1%
  3. 3

20 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. 4

15 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. more than 5+ or give up

37 vote(s)
    28.5%
  1. Joab

Joab

Would you allow a child to walk out onto ice without warning him of the dangers?

Of course you would because you don't even know what they are yet.

No offence but your an Idiot !

#21     Feb 15, 2007
  2. i'm sure that is what it is. i have been trading for a year and 2 months now and managed to make 40% trading gold/silver stocks first year that went up almost 100% if i had just bought and held...it certainly was nice to have the luck of the bull where mistakes cost profit and not capital. my equity "curve" last year looked more like i was trying to draw mountain range with it...

maybe the question should have been how long until you had a profitable backtested strategy.

#22     Feb 15, 2007
  3. "how long did you take to have a profitable year?"

Any poster who says that it took less than a year is having you on!

#23     Feb 15, 2007
  4. minmike

minmike

I took me less than a year. No I'm not prop. No I'm not confusing a bull market for a good trader. I actually do much better in large down days than up days. I have been at it around 2 years.

It is possble, just not probable.

#24     Feb 15, 2007
  5. it took me three months to get positive.....but i work at Swift where the the choices you have are get positive or no job....so yes it is very plausible for many people to be positive in less than a year.....since i have started i have had many losing days....a couple losing months.....but never a negative year and im almost done my 3rd year.

#25     Feb 15, 2007
  6. Exactly!! The first 2 years I started were profitable. I started out as more of a fundamentalist. First year was mildly profitable.

Then I started looking at the charts and realized that I was missing a vital piece of information. Started taking into account technical analysis and started backtesting. After what seems like hundreds of hours, I developed a profitable strategy. I shorted everything in sight and needless to say, second year was great!

Somewhere between years 2 and 3, I was humbled. I had no idea about trade or risk management. I was short and overleveraged on a few tickers and voila...

Technically speaking, I should have voted for year 1, but the markets had more to do with that than I did. Point is, you need to start counting from the point where you know what you are doing. I was lucky the first 2 years but I do not count those because it was just that - luck.

#26     Feb 15, 2007
  7. You cannot have a profitable first year in less than twelve months.

Read the question.

#27     Feb 15, 2007
  8. minmike

minmike

If I trade for one day and make money. Then I don't trade for the rest of a year, would that be a profitable year? I think so.

#28     Feb 15, 2007
  9. What a retard.

#29     Feb 15, 2007
  10. minmike

minmike

When I make your year in a month... Good luck

Not worth my time to try to help people who want to insult and play semantics.

#30     Feb 15, 2007