How long did it take you to become a **consistently** profitable trader?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Iwilldoit, Jul 25, 2015.

1. garachen

garachen

You should be profitable from day 1.

Your first strategy should be exploiting a very large - hence rare - mispricing. Then you gradually work into smaller and frequent trades.

#11     Jul 26, 2015
    nastazio151, wow12 and Neilsome like this.
  2. Handle123

Handle123

I don't believe many who start in trading has the experience to know how to do this as it sides on dumb luck? How long willing to wait? I applaud you if you were able to do. I leaned on the side of 122 ways how not to trade correctly, hence Handle123. And at the time my favorite phase was "I am so close", and yet friends were betting on my next trip to the bank for a loan. Long road but you stay the path and whether you want to or not, you learn and do the right patterns.

#12     Jul 26, 2015
    TraDaToR, wwatson1 and jl1575 like this.
  3. Redneck

Redneck

JT

Beautifully written Sir

RN

#13     Jul 26, 2015
  4. pak

pak

Consistantly profitable is one thing (i'm their)...but making enough to really change your lifestyle is quite another (i'm on year 8 & working harder(smarter) then EVER-& still not their yet)

I think the Journey is different for everyone...

#14     Jul 26, 2015
    wwatson1 likes this.
  5. I can't answer your question because I don't understand what you mean by consistently profitable. Could you define it? I do suspect that I won't meet you r definition of consistent although I do consider myself to be a successful trader.

#15     Jul 26, 2015
  6. It took me 10 years, working at least 10 hours a day, 7 days a week.

After that period I progressed with ups and downs (like most people I think).

And about 2-3 years ago it really exploded. Although performance did not grow exponentially, it felt like it did. I never believed before that this performance was possible to achieve.

I still study the markets to improve my trading. Not for the money, but I try to reach performances that are now supposed to be unachievable. Don't say I will succeed, but I will go for it. I am a very stubborn person, will go with my head through the wall if necessary.

#16     Jul 26, 2015
    Iwilldoit likes this.
  7. Hi everyone,

thanks for the replies.

For the sake of the study, please could you adhere to the following format:

So here are the questions I would like profitable traders to answer:Have you been consistently profitable over the past year?

1.Have you been net profitable (P & L) over the past twelve months?

2.How many years/months did it take you to become a profitable trader?

3.During the first six months of your trading career, How many hours a week did you devote to your new business?

Thank You (I tried to post a poll, but I guess I am unable to since I already made the original post long ago)

It would be great if someone could show me how to #mention# various members in the same manner you are able to on the BMT forum.

#17     Jul 26, 2015
  8. Have you been net profitable (P & L) over the past twelve months?

#18     Jul 26, 2015
  9. JTrades

JTrades

...by the grace of infinite monkey theorem.

#19     Jul 26, 2015
    Redneck likes this.
  10. yes

#20     Jul 26, 2015